1-1-1-1-1
Power Clean
Overhead Squat

I did this WOD a couple of days ago, and I committed the cardinal sin of olympic lifting – watch and learn.

125 lbs. Overhead Squat – this one was good.

After this lift, I got really excited because my PR is 135 lbs., and I KNEW I could get 140 lbs. In my mind, I started preparing (and chasing) 140 lbs., completely bypassing 135 lbs. In my mind, I knew I had already successfully lifted 135 lbs. overhead, so I could easily get it this time, and I was on my way to 140, 145 lbs.

However, that is not at all how things played out….it all went south very quickly. First, you have to make every lift as perfect as you can, every time. You have to prepare for every lift as if it’s a PR, and not worry about when the PR is going to come. Perfect practice makes perfect, right?

So, here’s what happened when I lifted 135 lbs. I made a mistake – let’s see who finds it first!! (And no, it’s not dropping the weight on my head – that was a result of what I did wrong in the lift.)

Friday WOD, 1/29/10

15 thoughts on “Friday WOD, 1/29/10

• January 29, 2010 at 8:50 am

Paukune came out of surgery a few minutes ago. It’s official, he’s now the first bionic man since Lee Majors. He also decided at the last minute to mix in some lipo and butt implants so the procedure lasted longer than anticipated. While the bionic team was at work, his orthopod also managed to clean up a bunch of stuff in his shoulder and fix the tear in his cuff. A speedy recovery to the Chief of the Rooster Nation.

• January 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

Your error is obvious. Going for a pr overhead squat during a slow stone temple pilots song is foolhardy. I would recommend something tough and medium paced for that type of lift like the Clash, Muse or Grinderman. If you want to stick with STP, try to play Paper Heart or Unglued. You also might want to consider Velvet Revolver.

• January 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Andy, aka Simon-
    I’m going to find some music one day that you actually like. Maybe.

• January 29, 2010 at 9:55 am

Power Clean – 205, 215, 225f, 205, 215f
    OHS – 155, 175, 185, 195f, 195f

Got to the bottom on the last OHS @ 195 but lost it forward. That would’ve been a PR.

62 push-ups in 2 minutes.

• January 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

For music, suggest Tchaikovsky’s opus 20, described as “an expression of elegiac grief and continuing sorrow ” at least for the second lift. Max Effort’s suggestions are fine for the first.

• January 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm

good job on the OHS but 62 push-ups in 2mins come on fish whisky

• January 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm

We have an infiltrator! Albeit a small one…

• January 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm

A speedy recovery to Newley and Mark ~ Roosters weren’t the same without you.
    Lori

• January 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm

C’mon, Lori. I came back this morning. That should more than make up for those two slackers.

• January 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Mark-
    Hope you have a SPEEDY recovery!!!! Keep us posted on your progress!!!

• January 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm

3 sets of 50 double jumps/ back extensions – 11 or 12 minutes (imprecise digital clock timing)

3 sets of 3 overhead squats (pr)

75 pushups in 2 minutes.

• January 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Max rather understates his OH Squat PR given shoulders fo F’d up he snatches the bar before going for the Squat.

Me (and is all about me)

115 OHS PR

135 Clean 155 fail due to crap technique – ugh

Dead hanging PU

43 PU in 2 min

• January 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm

And then there was Angie

Let’s see, she was using some of Ryans new non-color coded weights.

OHS some like… 155?

What ever it was, just crushed Amie and Max E (and everybody else).

• January 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

the mistake is clear. when attempting 135 everyone knows you use 2 bad ass red plates. the green and blue ones don’t go well together. here ends today’s lesson.

• January 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

Angie-You got 155? WOWEEE!!!! That’s OUTSTANDING!!!

Ken-Yes, it was absolutely the plates. They happened to fall behind my head, which I then threw them over my head and hit myself with them. Two red plates might not have hurt so much.