For time:
30 Double-unders
135 pound Thruster, 15 reps
30 Pull-ups
30 Burpees
300 feet Walking lunge with 45lb plate held overhead

Top men’s times from the 2009 CrossFit Games:
Mikko Salo (19:46), Jason Khalipa (21:35), Michael Fitzgerald (22:13).

Top women’s times:
Charity Vale (18:24), Kristan Clever (20:27), Carey Kepler (21:06).

Wednesday WOD, 2/24/10

11 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, 2/24/10

• February 24, 2010 at 9:48 am

Bueller…….Bueller………

• February 24, 2010 at 11:53 am

Whenever a particularly difficult wod comes up, I would highly recommend also posting a scaled one along with it.

I know most people see these and think why would I show up if I can’t even do half the movements? It would be very helpful to see the scaled wod so we know what we would be doing. An example of this today for instance..

115 lb Squat clean, 15 reps
    30 Toes to bar
    30 Box jump, 24 inch box
    30 dips
    40 pound dumbbell Push press / push jerk, 30 reps
    90 rope skips
    95 lb Thruster, 15 reps
    30 Pull-ups
    30 Burpees
    300 feet Walking lunge

Just a thought, might encourage more attendance 🙂

Also Mr. Platt did this one rx’d in 30 minutes. Monster.

• February 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

King “Freaking” Kong

• February 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm

30 minutes, come on…. The top WOMEN did it in 20. Im not getting Max Effort here, people…

• February 24, 2010 at 3:05 pm

The women didn’t do 135lb thrusters. I think they made brownies for time, so yeah that takes about 20 minutes.

• February 24, 2010 at 3:13 pm

What a horrible thing to say. i want to apologize to all the women in the crossfit community for Andrew’s comment.

I remember when I did this workout, Andrew was tiiming me and had to leave when I was 12 minutes in and over halfway done. The last third or so of the workout took about 18 minutes.

• February 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I agree with Andrew regarding a scaled version of each WOD; however, anyone who needs to scale should not avoid a WOD because it contains movements that they cannot do, cannot do well, or just do not like. I have noticed that since coaching here at CF Seven that when particular movements are in a WOD, few people will show whenin fact the opposite should occur. If you struggle with something (for an example, a muscle up) there are different ways to train each movement and I would be more than glad to help you learn. Learning does required scaling, but you have to start somewhere.

The bottom line, again, not showing to WOD’s that contain movements you cannot perform will never help you learn them. Get to classes with your weaknesses and soon your weaknesses will become your strengths.

• February 24, 2010 at 9:17 pm

P.S.

Brownies for time
    rx’d in 15:02

• February 24, 2010 at 11:38 pm

All the “Roosters” showed up for today’s WOD – difficult OR scaled down. The scaled down version was good enough for me?*#**!! 17.40 as rx’d (less a few lbs.)

• February 25, 2010 at 6:44 am

Candice – I couldn’t agree more – great post!. Andrew, you are right too. Scaling a WOD is a great way to maximize your power output for a WOD. If the top athletes do this WOD under 20 minutes, your goal can be to scale whatever you need to in order to achieve that same time frame (and thereby maximizing your power output).

You have to decide before any WOD what your goal is. Is it maximum time and power output? If so, you may need to scale the WOD in order to get the most benefit. Is it to do Rx’d, so that you can see how you compare? If so, realize it may take you a lot longer, and you may not get as many gains. Either way is great, and all of the coaches will help you achieve either goal.

Please don’t ever be afraid or embarrassed to scale a WOD (if those are the right words)…I know when I first started CF, I would always apologize for doing “less than” what was prescribed. I didn’t understand that scaling was a way to get the most benefit for me for that particular WOD. The best thing you can do sometimes is scale a WOD because you get the most benefit in the long run by doing so.

• February 25, 2010 at 9:02 am

Is that a PR for Brownies, Candice? Smoking fast. Im just wondering if you cheated on the ingredients therefore burning some of the brownies. Make sure and tape it next time.