Fran
21-15-9

Thrusters (95 lb/65 lb)
Pullups

******************************************************
What has CrossFit taught you?

About a year ago, I started a list of all of the lessons CrossFit has taught me. I added a couple of lessons yesterday and wanted to share….post thoughts and/or your life lessons to comments.

1. Anything that looks easy on paper generally will break you.
2. It never gets easier. You just get faster (Ryan told me that one – I like it!).
3. Bigger gains are made when I work on the things I’m weak in, not when I work on the things I’m strong at.
4. Rest days are good. I should take them more. And, if I don’t rest, then I can’t complain when something hurts. (Learned that from Dutch!)
5. Cheat days are also good. My food fuels my WODs, but I do not let my food rule my world.
6. Snatches are hard. Rippetoe says snatches are gymnastics with a bar. I’ve come to believe that is true.
7. A little contact with the oly bar on a snatch gone bad, and I now know my nostrils can touch my eyeballs. Not every CrossFitter can say that…
8. Every day at a Crossfit gym is an opportunity to learn something new.
9. CrossFit requires patience. A movement can take months to learn and perform correctly. Let go of the timelines in my head and just practice.
10. Over-thinking can mess you up. The only thing I need to worry about is jumps and lands. (thank you Coach Burgener!)
11. I will not PR every day, but what I can do is give all out effort every day.
12. Laying on the floor for 30 minutes, trying to recover from a five minute WOD, is when I feel most alive.
13. It’s ok to scale a WOD. Power and performance should be the goal, not Rx’d.
14. I’m blessed to have made good friends in my life. Some of the best friends I have, I made through CrossFit.
15. CrossFit levels the playing field for everyone. It’s great to play in an arena, where any given day, anyone can win.
16. It is possible to break an oly bar. I did! Some claim it was weak steel. I say it was because I’m so strong! Perspective is reality 🙂
17. Burpees are the devil.
18. I never thought I would be able to do pullups. Now, I CAN do them. The first time I did Fran as Rx’d, I cried when I was done because I never thought I would be able to do it as Rxd. CrossFit proves anything worth having is worth working and fighting for. Next to conquer are muscle ups and snatches. One day, I will be able to do both.
19. When I have a bad day, OHS always make me feel better!
20. No one should ever try double unders barefoot.
21. If I do not fear the WOD, the WOD isn’t hard enough.
22. Leave nothing undone, and always, always, always finish the pull.
23. There’s no room for ego in CrossFit. When it’s time for WOD, if I forget to check my ego at the door, I lose.
24. You are in CrossFit who you are in real life.
25. It’s easier to run in a group than run by yourself. If a WOD involves a run, and there is a lone CrossFitter still running after all have finished, get up and go run with them. No one likes to run alone.
26. When my mind screams REST, that’s the time to pick up the f-kg bar and move.
27. Do not lower your expectations to what you think you can do. Always raise the bar and prove you can do what is highly expected.
28. There will always be someone who is bigger, stronger or faster. Make friends with those people – they will make you a better athlete.
29. I’ve heard a lot of people lately apologizing for modifying a WOD. Never, ever apologize for what you are able to do because at the end of the WOD, if you gave all out effort, that’s all that really matters.
30. Do not sacrifice form just to get a better time. Same holds true in real life – do not overlook the small details while chasing after the big picture.

Wednesday WOD, 3/24/10

17 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, 3/24/10

• March 24, 2010 at 10:29 am

That’s a long list. Maybe you should look at number 10 again.

• March 24, 2010 at 11:31 am

I guess you can scratch you know who off your #14 list. 😉

• March 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm

She knows I’m kidding. Hey, at least I come around Bo.

• March 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thats what she said.

• March 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

A guy from my office has FINALLY agreed to come to the gym today and sample a little crossfit. He is a big strong dude. We will be in around 5:30pm. How great is it that today is Fran day??

• March 24, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Andrew,

That really sucks for your new guy. Make sure you let him know Fran is a least favorite for many and not to get discouraged. Man…haha, that really sucks for him.

• March 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I was actually planning on telling him that Fran is just what we do to warmup. He won’t know.

• March 24, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I look forward to Fran popping up on the main site again – it’s a great WOD! When I first started CF, I misred the description of “three rounds, 21-15-9” to mean round 1 was 21-15-9, round 2 was 21-15-9, round 3 was 21-15-9. I did Fran that way for three months before I figure out I was doing Franx3, not three rounds of Fran, haha……

Andrew-
    Play nice. Ryan will start him out doing something that won’t hurt him so that he will come back.

• March 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Attempted murph. Didn’t finish. Pissed me off. The only thing that brightened my day was my new favorite post WOD snack- DATES. Yum.

• March 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Murph 37:30. Missed my pr by only 5 minutes!

• March 24, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Still STEAMING mad over Max Effort saying Rachel Carson was full of shit.
    Oh, and Ronin . . . you’re going to have to do some image management. I let slip that you were sitting with a table full of poets last night.
    Sorry.

• March 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm

DT

as rx’d: 12:29

• March 24, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Hey Angie

Do the dates help with that problem?

Hmmmm. Perhaps Max E’s in-artfully worded comment is an artifact of his PTSD over having focused on Environmental Law in Oregon, before he found his true calling? Something reinforced by shoulder pain every time he tries to raise his hand high enough to comb his exotic coiffure?

Poets are rock stars, well at least one is. Perhaps the dactylic pentameter could be used to come up with more fun WOD’s?

• March 24, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Oh what the hell do you care what I think. I read this (attached) and it led me to alot of other articles:
    Ames laughs at the claims of chemically induced cancers, and he should know-he’s the one who invented the test that first frightened people about a lot of those chemicals. It’s called the Ames Test, and its first use in the 1970s raised alarms by revealing there were carcinogens in hair dye, and in the flame retardants in children’s pajamas. Ames helped get the chemicals banned.

Before the Ames Test, the traditional way to test a substance was to feed big doses of it to animals and wait to see if they got cancer or had babies with birth defects. But those tests took two to three years and cost $100,000. So Dr. Ames said, “Instead of testing animals, why not test bacteria? You can study a billion of them on just one Petri dish and you don’t have to wait long for the next generation. Bacteria reproduce every twenty minutes.”

The test proved successful. It was hailed as a major scientific breakthrough, and today, the Ames Test is one of the standards used to discover if a substance is carcinogenic.

But after getting the hair dye and the flame retardants banned, Dr. Ames and other scientists continued testing chemicals. “People started using our test,” he told me, “and finding mutagens everywhere-in cups of coffee, on the outside of bread, and when you fry your hamburger!”

This made him wonder if his tests were too sensitive, and led him to question the very bans he’d advocated. A few years later, when I went to a supermarket with him, he certainly didn’t send out any danger signals.

DR. AMES Practically everything in the supermarket, if you really looked at it at the parts per billion level, would have carcinogens. Vegetables are good for you, yet vegetables make toxic chemicals to keep off insects, so every vegetable is 5 percent of its weight in toxic chemicals. These are Nature’s pesticides. Celery, alfalfa sprouts, and mushrooms are just chock-full of carcinogens.

No, absolutely not, because the amount of pesticide residues-man-made pesticide residues-people are eating are actually trivial and very, very tiny amounts! We get more carcinogens in a cup of coffee than we do in all the pesticide residues you eat in a day.

In a cup of coffee? To put the risks in perspective, Ames and his staff analyzed the results of every cancer test done on rats and mice. By comparing the dose that gave the rodents cancer to the typical exposure people get, they came up with a ranking of the danger. Pesticides such as DDT and EDB came out much lower than herb tea, peanut butter, alcohol, and mushrooms. We moved over to the mushrooms as the cameras continued to roll, and Dr. Ames put his mouth where his convictions were.

DR. AMES One raw mushroom gives you much more carcinogens than any polluted water you’re going to drink in a day.

And it led to this about DDT:
    Nevertheless, the environmental hysteria led to DDT’s suppression in Africa, where its use had been dramatically reducing deaths. American foreign aid could be used to finance ineffective alternative anti-malaria methods, but not DDT. Within a short time, the mosquitoes and malaria reappeared, and deaths skyrocketed. Tens of millions of people have died in that time.

DDT advocates pointed out that the ban amounted to mass murder. But they could not move the rich white environmental dogmatists who reflexively condemn all kinds of chemicals, and presumably lost no sleep when millions of poor African children died.

But now this has changed. Last month, the WHO announced that it supports indoor spraying of DDT and other insecticides “not only in epidemic areas but also in areas with constant and high malaria transmission, including throughout Africa.”

“The scientific and programmatic evidence clearly supports this reassessment,” said Dr. Anarfi Asamoa-Baah, WHO assistant director-general for HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria. “DDT presents no health risk when used properly.”

• March 24, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Max,
    Was just teasing. Thanks for being so good with Karli today. Sorry I touched a nerve.
    Andrea

• March 24, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Who knew that Ames guy was so smart? I just thought he was annoying in Charles in Charge. I don’t know about DDT but I love me some permetherin. Spray it all over the yard.I hate mosquitoes so much I’m willing roll the dice on the whole cancer/early onset Parkinson’s/Alzhemer’s thing. Just wish my neighbors felt the same way.

Cool list Amie. Ali told me I had to read it. Well done.

• March 25, 2010 at 6:12 am