21-15-9
Back Squats (155 lb./115 lb.)
Pullups

Rest 3 – 5 minutes, then:
300m Row
Max pushups, three sets; rest as much as needed between sets.

Post time for (21-15-9) as well as max pushups to comments.

*********************************************************************************
Gymnastics are a big part of CrossFit: pullups, pushups, muscle-ups, dips, handstand pushups….the list goes on. These movements form the core of your upper body and strength work, yet they are not movements we practice on a daily basis.

Some basic benchmarks for gymnastics include:
20, 25, and 30 pullups (yes, in a row)
50, 75, and 100 pushups
20, 30, 40 and 50 dips
1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 rope climbs

Where do you rank on these benchmarks?

Chris Spealler, aka “Speal”, set out to do 100 pullups in a row. He thought he had it, and when they
went back to review the video, it turns out he only had 99. So, he tried again, and it became his quest to get 100 pullups in a row.

It took me FOREVER to learn kipping pullups. FOREVER. I received lots of advice and plenty of people telling me “just string them together”. I realized very quickly though that I wasn’t overly coordinated (I know many of you will find that hard to believe, haha), and pullups were something that required me to practice. A LOT. And, once I was able to string pullups together, I thought it was some kind of miracle – I had it in my head that it just wasn’t ever going to happen.

In CrossFit, you have to (HAVE TO) get out of your head. Stop convincing yourself you cannot do something, that you are too slow, too weak, too whatever. Get out of your head and just try. See what you can do, and you might be surprised at just how strong and fast you really are.

Wednesday WOD, 5/5/10

27 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, 5/5/10

• May 5, 2010 at 6:18 am

7:25 – Rx

I forgot to breathe about midway through the first set of 21 and got pretty light headed. It definitely made the workout a lot more interesting.

I also found out that I am terrible at push ups, so I’ll be doing 100 a day for a while.

• May 5, 2010 at 6:24 am

Oh I found this : http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

The song is mad homo
    The colors are mad homo
    You play as a unicorn

…..but

The song is catchy as hell
    The colors grow on you
    The unicorn is a robot unicorn

This game is awesome. If you have 5 minutes to kill or have kids I highly recommend it. The website might not be too kid friendly, so you would have to make sure they don’t veer off the web page.

• May 5, 2010 at 6:34 am

But I really CANT do a muscle-up…

• May 5, 2010 at 7:40 am

Ouch!

5:18 on the Franesqe workout
    3:03 Row
    63 Push Ups – Terrible

• May 5, 2010 at 8:11 am

8:07 Pullups continue to be a beating

1:11 on the first row and the :59 and :59 with 57 push ups

light head and quesy stomach post workout – i like it.

• May 5, 2010 at 9:15 am

Rowing was fun..

I also felt quesy and my arms were so shaky afterwards I almost poked myself in the eye with my mascara…

David sorry I kept banging into you during pull ups.. 🙂

• May 5, 2010 at 9:34 am

7:25 @ 135 and still having to use a band on pull ups
    1:10 / 20 – 1:03 /20 – 1:01 / 20 – row / pushups
    not the best form
    Keller aka “Killer” it sounded like you were giving birth while you were rowing – go easy on the grunts!!!

• May 5, 2010 at 10:09 am

Today just flat out sucked. Watching you guys suffer 10 minutes ahead of me was not a good idea. Got completely logjammed on my last few pullups. very frustrating. ~6:02. My rowing is embarassing. 3:26…that isn’t a typo…with 66 pushups.

dike was a madmam yet again. i think we need to check him for PED’s. we’ll all sleep well tonight…..killer keep grunting…

• May 5, 2010 at 12:03 pm

My PED coctail is as follows:

2-3 Heavy Beers + 2-3 Tall Glasses of Red Wine in the evening + 2 Pills of Fish Oil in the morning

Agree on Killer’s grunts – if you ain’t hurtin you ain’t tryin

• May 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Whisky . . . see what mis-activation of those estrogen receptors will do? I’m sorry I implied that adult men were not at risk. I see now that that was wrong.

• May 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Faith I thought I read it wrong, but nope, you said in post earlier today that…..”rowing was fun”. That statement really doesn’t make sense. Row harder.

Everyone, L and I had fun at social last week. I finally met some roosters also. Andy kicked ass. Oh, and I reconfirmed my goal for 2010 to make it to a 6am class. That literally is my only goal.

• May 5, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Unless of course Faith that was a sarcastic comment that I was unable to detect through blogging.

• May 5, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Somebody should look into the inverse association of soy product Intake with serum androgen and estrogen concentrations in male vegetarians.

Anybody?

Anybody?

• May 5, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Ronin I just looked into it and the answer is 6.

• May 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Amie, that’s great about your butterfly pull ups! 12 in a row wow! Too bad about the rips though :-/ i can’t wait to check out your butterflies!

• May 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Went with air squats.
    Row – 58-57-57 (sec)
    Push – 35-25-20

• May 5, 2010 at 6:02 pm

6:28 rx

45 / 23 pushups. Decided not to vomit my way through a third round.

• May 5, 2010 at 6:03 pm

4:40 rx

Row – 53 – 1:02 – 57

Push – 48 – 33 – 23

• May 5, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Thank you Lauren!

Main site WOD today – not sure how to judge the weight, but it was heavy (and awkward) with dumbbells….5 rounds: 5 DL, 5 HC, 5 PP, 5 Squats – 15-20-25-30-35 (35 was tough!). May have been able to do 40, but ran out of time.

GREAT 4:30 class today! Pictures on the way!

• May 5, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Haha Geesbreght… I WAS rowing hard!! I like the way it felt afterwards.. Besides the nausea..

Newley taught me how to do them, “chest up! Lean back”

• May 5, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Newly doesn’t know shit.

• May 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Don’t remember my times at this point, but was very worn out at the end. Definitely feeler much stronger after 5 weeks of CF7.

More importantly wanted to let everyone know that the “grunting” will continue. Thanks for the back up Sank…Pauk no complaining! If you ain’t grunting, you ain’t trying…See yall on Friday!

• May 5, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Is shit a new guy? because I don’t know him either.

• May 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm

7:14 Rx

0:56 on the first 300 M row. That’s all I had. Shoulder is achy from putting 225 overhead yesterday so I didn’t wanna push anything today.

• May 5, 2010 at 8:56 pm

6:28@ 115

1:04/22
    1:05/17
    1:01/20

• May 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Eric not sure on your game or for that matter Whisky’s School Board you tube post yesterday either – Ronin i can only say wow!!!
    There seem to a lot of characters at C7!!!!

• May 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Paukune

Rowing (no fat tax) reminds me that leaning out is something well worth doing.

OTOH, a pint of Vanilla Swiss Almond a day keeps the old folks home away.

Hmmmm….