Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1
Clean Pulls 3-3-3

Post loads to comments.

Clean pulls are the slow-motion of the “third pull” of the clean, also known as the finish. Your set up is the same as a clean (which is also the same as a deadlift), and you deadlift the bar to your pockets – that’s when you use your shoulders to shrug the bar up (your arms DO NOT bend). Here’s what it looks like (and yes, it’s supposed to be HEAVY):

It does NOT look like this – watch this guy’s arms bend, and he basically does an upright row. The initiation of the third pull (the finish) happens when you shrug your shoulders up and generate power and explosiveness from your SHOULDERS (not your arms). When your arms bend, the power ends.

Wednesday WOD, 6/16/10

14 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, 6/16/10

• June 16, 2010 at 6:38 am

C&J – 155, 165 F re-aggravated groin because I’m smart
    Tabata Push ups – 83

Probably going to call in “sick” to work tonight. I doubt people would feel comfortable around someone with a bulge in their pants(due to the ice pack). Hopefully I’ll be better come Friday.

Good job today roosters.

• June 16, 2010 at 6:53 am

C&J – 185, 205, 210 f, 210 (power), 215 f, 205

cleans were squatted unless noted otherwise

Clean Pulls – 225, 245, 265

Tabata pushups – 91

• June 16, 2010 at 8:23 am

Eric don’t be so sure, people love to see a big bulge. Women want you and men want to be you. Hope you feel better though, foam roll tonight and tomorrow.

Still not loving weight in the am, but I am having fun getting some work done this early. You roosters don’t mess around!

• June 16, 2010 at 9:19 am

got to 175# in clean several times…could not get it over my head. 205# on pulls and 116 sit ups…and still suck at kipping

just to give you some results i am proud of. started this biz in Jan at 213# and soft, immediately ballooned to 223# but my waist got smaller. after spring break the weight started peeling. i weighed in at 202# this morning with some muscle and a lot less fat. i haven’t been this light since high school.

Eric – by “light” i don’t mean “light in my loafers”. you make me scratch my head with some of your comments but i know from your workouts you are all man.

have a good day!

• June 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

C & J 105 (Eric you did 50 more # than me, dang.. I need to catch up)

155# of whatever that other shrug thing was and a few Tabata push ups.. not enough to comment on.

Killer, that wall was impressive!!

David! Great job on that progress, that’s really cool! I think it’s working for me too.. May was my first full month.. girls don’t talk about weight, but I lost like 10-13 lb. and dropped a couple pant sizes.. I think I have more energy during the day too, but that might be in my head. 🙂

I’m with you on the kipping.. let’s have a kipping lesson/practice day.

• June 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Oh man Geesbreght I can’t believe you went there, AWESOME haha. It’s too bad the majority of the women at my workplace are either obese, old enough to be my mom, butch or some combination of the 3. The ones who aren’t are average looking at best, but compared to the other women there they get treated like 10s.

David, that is fantastic that you’ve lost so much weight. As far as my comments go I just try to make them interesting/funny. I could be boring like Whisky, but that is not my style.

Come on Faith how are you not going to mention your 1 pull up today? Unless you’ve already done 1 unassisted and kept it a secret(why would you do that?!?!?). Now about catching up to me I better not see you taking steroids. If I see any bacne we’re having an intervention.

waking up early sucks.

• June 16, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Did Andrew just advise Eric to foam roll his bulge?

• June 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I think that is what he said Max.

I suck at C&Js. 185# very ugly. Maybe I should stick with just Js.

• June 16, 2010 at 6:50 pm

max c&j was 175 lbs – PR

Eric / Sank enjoyed lifting with yall

it was a lot harder of a WOD then I thought it would be – I was tried all day

• June 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm

how do I turn off my head during the Clean?….getting stuck at 110#…

tababa ab mat situps 14 each round…Angie- it’s there at the gym for your use!

• June 16, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Up to 200 C&J, first time I’ve done the lift so Ryan astutely pointed out that was a PR.

275 on the clean pull triples

365 deadlift before I strained a hip trying a 380 PR because like Eric, I’m smart.

• June 16, 2010 at 9:49 pm

165# C&J. Cleaned 170# but failed on the Jerk. I was whipped today as well Paukune. I think Andrew did suggest that Eric foam roll his groin..clearly he’s sleep deprived. Walters, nice work on the weight loss. I came in under 150# this week for the first time in I don’t know how long. Xfit works……

• June 17, 2010 at 3:33 am

David and Faith you two should come in early if want to practice your kip. I’m sure Newly or Whisky will be happy to help you with your technique. They usually get there around 5:35ish. Heck, if they are busy I could probably help some.

• June 17, 2010 at 7:53 am

Good idea Eric, I’ll do that, thanks!