For time:
20 Front Squat (135 lb./95 lb.)**
30 Toes to Bar
40 Box Jumps
50 Kettlebell Swings (1.5 pood/1 pood)

**Front squats have to be cleaned from the floor to the front squat postion.

Advanced:
20 Back Squat (185 lb./135 lb.)***
30 Toes to Bar
40 Box Jumps
50 Kettlebell Swings (1.5 pood/1 pood)

***Back squats are taken from the rack.

Post time to comments. Remember, advanced WOD cannot be scaled.

This week, look for posts from Andy P. to get a good insight on strategies, time goals, what to scale, etc. Andy is a long time CrossFitter and will provide great advice on how to attack each WOD.

Watch the elite CrossFitters play Zip, Zap, Zop.

Now that the Games are over, what are your thoughts and comments? Did you watch the live feed? What do you think of the results, the workouts and the athletes?

Monday WOD, July 19, 2010

27 thoughts on “Monday WOD, July 19, 2010

• July 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm

When Amie said look for posts from Andy P., she meant MAX EFFORT! So let’s take a look at the moves one at a time, shall we?:

I think 20 135-pound front squats is harder than 20 185-pound back squats. I’ll probably scale up to 225 for back squats because that’s a pretty standard CrossFit squat weight. To scale down, if you can get at least 5 of the front squats, don’t scale.

If you can’t do three toes to bar in a row, you can scale with knees to elbows. If you can’t do three of those in a row, you can scale that with raising knees above your hips. If you can’t do that, I don’t know, do whatever.

If you can, do your box jumps with the standard they used at the games which was jump from a sideways position, land on top of the box, jump to the other side, or just jump right over the box. You don’t have to worry about opening your hips with that standard. Of course, if you can’t jump on the box, get up there any other way you can.

For the kettle bell swings, if you can’t get 10 in a row, you might want to scale but it wouldn’t hurt to keep plugging away with 5 at a time if you’ve got the heart.

I’ll be doing the 4:30 class. We’ll be warming up with the Official CrossFit Warm-up.

• July 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Sorry! I meant MAX EFFORT 🙂

Andy-you are doing 4:30 starting Tuesday right? I was planning on being there Monday – let me know!

THANK YOU!!!

• July 18, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Hey MAX

Soooooo cool to see your coaching at work in that last WOD of the xfit games – the MAX EFFORT burpee’s between rope climbs. Do they have a kip like name, perhaps MAXPEE’s?

Hey in all seriousness, well not that much. So today for the first time I got an idea of what it is like like to blast ones back doing DL’s. You, like ALL the other strong guys at CF7 have hosed your back, yet you, Ryan and Lucas don’t mess with weight belts. Lucas doubtless because of his style fetish. Oh wit, that would cover Ryan as well.

What are your thoughts on weight belts?

Thanks

• July 18, 2010 at 7:50 pm

If the deadlift weight you’re attempting is going to hurt your back and a belt will prevent that, use a belt.

Thank you.

• July 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Ahhhh……

To the best of my recollection, I don’t remember what the accused said.

1. Do you think belts help prevent injury during DL?

2. Have you ever attempted to lift enough to hurt your back?

3. There any useful difference between belts?

Thanks

• July 18, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Dont be offended Roosters.,I don’t have to work in the morning so I’m sleeping in and going to the 4:30.. don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about ya’ll..

• July 18, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Use a belt. I would. You’ll need one that’s pretty thin so you can get in the proper pulling position. My leather belt is a tad thick for it.

• July 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm

no belt. just suck it up. i had 2 slipped discs.. now i dead and squat heavy… no belt.. back is fine. no pain since i started lifting heavy.

• July 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Mackey

Hey thanks for the great advice. I have no slipped disks, but I’ll see about remedying that in the morning so I can be like you.

So lets see, if I put all the weights I own on my bar I think I have about 400 (with 35 more on one side – which ought to get it done with the disk slipping).

OTOH, with 400 on the bar I wont be getting it off the ground, so no back hassle belt or not.

Hmmmm….

Something odd about Whiskey being the voice of reason.

• July 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm

whiskey doesn’t lift heavy ….

• July 19, 2010 at 5:44 am

Ronin, I’ll lend you that raspberry suede dress with the big brass grommets. If you lace it loosely around the bodice you’ll be able to tighten it around your waist and support your back.

• July 19, 2010 at 6:09 am

Mackey, try not to injure yourself before we head to Colorado again. I get tired of your crying while on the road.

Advanced WOD @ 225# in 9:57 min. I used a belt.

I did sets of 12 & 8 on the squats. 10’s on the toes to bar. Whatever I could muster on the box jumps and 10-15+ on the swings.

It was nice to have some of the ladies in the AM class step up to the plate. Good work on the back squats by Brent, Eric & Sank. Brent did 225 unbelted, but if you’re Brent D. you don’t worry about form or safety.

• July 19, 2010 at 6:22 am

Andrea, that is so cool! You mean that dress doesn’t make me look fat anymore? Go paleo.

• July 19, 2010 at 6:23 am

Front Squat 75lb
    Time: 9:33 toe to bar…. aweful
    A lot of roosters still out.

Lori… great time!

• July 19, 2010 at 6:33 am

Advanced WOD 11:14

Probably could have gone heavier on the squats. I did 185# unbroken. The worst part was the KB swings.

Faith, you might have to reintroduce yourself to the roosters since you’ve missed so many classes.

Are you alright Whisky? It isn’t like you to compliment the roosters.

• July 19, 2010 at 7:36 am

There’s usually nothing to compliment about…

• July 19, 2010 at 7:58 am

Whisky, we love you!! In your honor lately, I’ve skipped the post WOD tabata sit-ups – I do feel better, but I now have a belly roll that hangs over my shorts, hmmmmm.

Amy, thanks ~

9:20, 55# front squats, subd knees to elbows – then I like to hear it’s OK knees to hips (cuz that’s how I finished), 25# KB.
    I had a good workout, BUT, probably not ultimate as intended – should have put more weight for squats and taken more time. I do feel I held my form (except, of course, on PUs – ugh)

Faith, we miss your face!!

Good to have our new rooster, Amy!

Happy Monday ~

• July 19, 2010 at 8:13 am

11:21 as Rxd by Max Effort.

No regard to form or safety.

Amie may want me to comment on what not to do next week.

• July 19, 2010 at 9:39 am

9:45 185# back squats. toes to bar surprisingly weren’t as hard as elbows to knees. kettlebells just plain sucked….reminded me of 150 wall balls the other day. I felt like i was never going to get over the hump. good monday wod, good rooster crew.

• July 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I wish I’d have known where you were in the workout, Sank. I’d have ripped out the kb swings faster or something. I’m now icing my legs in my office.

• July 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Leasurely 3 hour walk around Saint Andrews followed by several curls with a pint of Guiness. Oh, and the high today was 72.

• July 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Main site wod today For time:
    Run 1200 meters
    63 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
    36 Pull-ups
    Run 800 meters
    42 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
    24 Pull-ups
    Run 400 meters
    21 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
    12 Pull-ups 31:29 very tough wod was happy to just finish

• July 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

7:25 Wussed out and didn’t do 225; did 185.

• July 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

7:38 on Front Squat workout.

• July 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Angie- you rocked the front squat!
    the back squat WOD was do-able with my box jumps being what slowed me down today…too bad there weren’t double unders to sub! (9:51)

• July 19, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Good work today everyone!

For my second workout of the day I did Amanda
    9-7-5
    135 squat snatch
    muscle up

• July 20, 2010 at 8:28 am

Awesome awesome time Angie! You amaze and inspire me..

And good advice Mr. Max Effort.. 🙂

9:11 95# Front squat.. I did 10 reps then 5 and 5 ;/ argg

4:30 is still stinkin’ hotttt. I almost passed out outside doing the kettlebells..