Shoulder Press 3-3-3-3-3
Push Press 2-2-2-2-2
Jerk 1-1-1

Post loads to comments.

Don’t forget to sign up for potluck/swim this Saturday!

Thursday WOD, July 29, 2010

12 thoughts on “Thursday WOD, July 29, 2010

• July 28, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Since this WOD really has nothing to scale…I’m gonna rant about calluses and ripping and hand stuff in general.
    To start, the disclaimer: NO I have not smelled my hands after a WOD!

OK, calluses are a huge part of CF and I think that maintaining a smooth callus bed is the secret to keeping your hands injury free. I recommend a file (I use one that is like the ped-egg you may have seen on TV, Revlon makes one for about $5 at Walmart). I have had the best results when I file the excess callus off to leave the pads of my hands (where the fingers meet the palm) smooth. You know you all sit and pick at the dead skin on your hands…that excess skin is what leads to ripping. When the callus bed is thick and then you do another intense WOD you will likely put strain on that raised area and then rip to where the skin is smooth…which is now a deep crater that burns like stink. So take some time daily or even once a month and file the calluses down it wll save you about 2 weeks of pain and ripp-age! If you know you are doing a WOD with major grip strength needed or lots of friction…try taping. Here’s one option to tape: http://www.crossfitdavis.com/crossfit-davis-blog/378-how-to-tape-your-hands-for-pull-ups

• July 29, 2010 at 6:59 am

I wouldn’t say I’m working on it; it’s just something I’d like to be able to do automatically with no invested effort.

• July 29, 2010 at 7:47 am

Great video. I am going to try that today.

• July 29, 2010 at 7:49 am

Andy-
    This is the guy I was telling you about yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audZVa2OxcM Is this the same one you saw? He’s going for the WR to skydive 23 miles above Earth and be the first free-falling human to reach the speed of sound – crazy!

• July 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

A crusty old Marine Sergeant Major found himself at a gala event hosted by a local liberal arts college. There was no shortage of young, idealistic ladies in attendance, one of whom approached the Sergeant Major and asked, ‘Excuse me, Sergeant Major, but you seem to be a very Serious man. Is something bothering you?’

‘Negative, ma’am. Just serious by nature.’

The young lady looked at his awards and decorations and said, ”It looks like you have seen a lot of action?”

”Yes,ma’am, a lot of action.’

The young lady, tiring of trying to start up a conversation, said, ‘You know, you should lighten up a little. Relax and enjoy yourself.’

The Sergeant Major j ust stared at her in his serious manner.

Finally the young lady said, ‘You know, I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but when is the last time you had sex?’

‘1955,’ he replied.

‘Well, there you are. No wonder you’re so serious. You really need To chill out! I mean, no sex since 1955!

She took his hand and led him to a private room where she proceeded to ‘relax’ him several times.

Afterwards, panting for breath, she leaned against his bare chest and said, ‘Wow, you sure didn’t forget much since 1955.’

The Sergeant Major said in his serious voice, after glancing at his watch, ‘I hope not; it’s only 2130 now.’

• July 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Whiskey-that joke is funny!

Andy-That guy was mentioned in the article too. From what I read, it sounds like the Austrian guy makes claims to things that others dispute, and there were two or three dudes that have made this same jump. The Austrian guy is trying to go from 23 miles, which I think is the farthest. I will bring it for you – it’s pretty interesting. I did watch the guy jump off of Jesus in Brazil and what I had imagined it look like isn’t anything close to what it really looks like 🙂

• July 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm

We had a lot of fun at the 9am class. I just love lifting days. There is a totally different feel to the class, people talking and slowing down. It was really nice to talk, yet EVERYONE pushed themselves on the weight (except Joe, of course :).
    If you can EVER come in early before your class time, I really encourage lifting SOMETHING, just an easy 3×3. It wont hurt you for the WOD and it can only help in gaining strength, flexibility, confidence, whatever!
    Example…
    Row 500m (to get sweaty)
    Dynamic stretch – leg swings, arm circles, air squats, etc
    Hit the rack. Warm up with the bar for any exercise and then start piling on the weight. Once you get to a GOOD WORKING weight, do 3 sets of 3 of OHS/Jerk/DL/Back Squat. The whole thing will take less than 30 minutes.

Or don’t. I don’t really care.

• July 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

5k run: 22:10

shoulder press x 5:
    115-115-135-135-145-150-135-135-135-115

no push press or push jerk. wasn’t feeling it.

• July 30, 2010 at 9:17 am

Haha, thanks for the callus help Kristen, was that for me? I didn’t mean to be a whiner but I had no idea. 🙂 And you should smell your hands sometime.. gives you an idea of all the hand fungus growing in there, sick!

Angie, I LOVE to hear you talk about CF, your eyes brighten and you sit up straighter and you get excited, I love that!! What did you say yesterday at the pool, “And, and, and, you just FEEEL it.. ALLLL in there and it’s just, just YEAH.. ALLL those INTERNAL muscles, just TIGHT and you just LIFT and YEAH..” 😀

That’s a fast 5k Mackey, and do you know my brother, Mark Driggers?