Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3
Push Press 3-3-3-3-3

Max wattage row, best of three attempts (time permitting).
With max watt row, you get three pulls on the rower (STRONG as you can) to see what your max wattage is. Repeat two more rounds, and highest score is your output for the day.

Post loads to comments, as well as max watt row.

The CrossFit Games start this Friday! Candice will be competing this year, and we all want to wish her GOOD LUCK!!!! There will be a live feed from the Games this year, so be sure to catch the action!   The 2010 Games webcast live preview show: 6pm PDT July 15th at live.crossfit.com.

Watch Candice’s video from the main site:   All Over the Map, Part 7 [mov] [wmv]

Watch 2010 CrossFit Games Preview:  Let the Games Begin [mov] [wmv]

Wednesday WOD, July 14, 2010

24 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, July 14, 2010

• July 14, 2010 at 6:06 am

Hello all. I’m looking for women with young infants (breast fed . . . and no, Whisky is surely over the age limit) . . . or formula-fed) who would be able/willing to provide urine samples for a nutritional/environmental contaminant study. Happy to provide more detail.

• July 14, 2010 at 6:13 am

LOL!

18.8 miles road. 16.4 avg. Did anyone else know it was going to be windy?

• July 14, 2010 at 6:39 am

DL: 205, 225×4
    PP: 115, 135, 145, 145, 155

Didn’t want to get too heavy on the deadlifts. They scare the crap out of me. I’ve seen too many people get hurt doing them.

Lots of regular roosters missing this morning. We had to bring in some replacements.

• July 14, 2010 at 7:50 am

DL: 155×4, 175
    PP: 105×4, 125
    468 max row, only fell out of the chair once.

Newly is a beast on the rows.

Big Rooster class this mornig. Nice to see some new faces.

• July 14, 2010 at 8:27 am

I just read WADA (world anti-doping agency) will be testing every athlete this year 24 hours before the games to ensure no performance enhancing drugs are tampering with a fair competition. Think anyone is sweating that this year?? Based on what I saw at sectionals there is no question guys are using, but I still believe the top performers are probably not on it, at least during the season. We will see, it will be a shock if any of the big names get busted, it will certainly change CF if that starts happening. Its one thing for a baseball player to be named, but in a sport like CF where strength and recovery are SO huge, enhancers would be a real black eye. Off season using is definitely already going on though for sure. Every top CF guy I know has worked hard for over 3-5 years (sometimes 10+) to get to an elite level, much of it strength focused gains over time. You can get into metcon shape in a few months, or at least to a point where you are competitive in a rather short time (if you have the mental aspect required to push through pain). Strength however is built slowly and takes time, and there is only one way to speed that up. Anyway I have so much respect for guys who can throw around heavy weight, b/c although you may just walk in the gym and see someone jerk 275 and think wow thats amazing, but that one movement took years to perfect and built up to. It would be a real shame to see people cutting corners. Hopefully all are clean and we can see an awesome weekend of amazing feats! Candice is gonna rock it hard. The other girls are n for it.

Good job roosters, thx for letting me play today.

• July 14, 2010 at 8:40 am

DL 115#
    PP 65#
    240 max row…..whimpy, whimpy, whimpy

“Sarah Lou” good to see you – glad you’re back!!

• July 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

I’ll be in this afternoon to deadlift and push press. My recommendation is to use the strictest form possible. DO NOT PUSH IT!!! If you’re rounding your back and picking up the weight straight legged you’re wrong. You’re going to slip a disc and be down for at least two weeks if not months.

Always! Always! Always! setup for the deadlift the same way.

First approach the bar and center the bar over the middle of your foot. This does not mean over the middle of what you see. It means over the middle of your entire foot. For most people this is around where your laces are tied. The bar will be very close to your shins.

Second, bend over and grip the bar straight legged, without moving the bar at all or touching it with your legs. The bar doesn’t move.

Third, bend your knees until your shins touch the bar. Never at any time is the bar to roll forward when you touch it. Ever.

Fourth, take a DEEP breath and set your back. You should always retain proper lumbar curvature. Keep your back tight and your chest up. Don’t crane your neck to look up. Keep your spine neutral by looking at a point several feet in front of you.

Finally, squeeze, don’t jerk, the weight off the ground. You should have pulled all the slack out of your arms and body in the previous step. The path of the bar is going to be very close to your legs. Close enough that it should remain in contact with them the entire movement. I wear kick ass long socks when I deadlift to prevent from cutting my shins up. Keep your back angle the same as when you setup until the bar is over your knees and you are finishing standing up with it. Don’t shrug or hyper-extend at the top. Both are unecessary and the latter can lead to injury.

To take the bar back to the ground reverse the lift exactly. I don’t condone dropping the weight from the top. Sometimes I’ll drop it from below the knees with my hands still controlling the bar to the ground.

Push Press is a little easier to setup. I like to take a deep breath before removing the bar from the rack and perform the first rep before I breathe again. This allows the bar to start about an inch higher off the ground.

Your feet should be about shoulder width and your grip outside the knurling on the bar slightly. I do a good thumb length from the edge of the knurling. With the bar racked on your shoulders you’ll dip by bending at the knees and the hips then thrust the bar up by opening your hips. There is no rebending of the knee once it’s moving upward. To bring the bar down under control receive it in the rack position on your shoulders while cushioning the blow by bending the knees.

For the rowing you’ll want to take three long pulls. Lean back and don’t pull with your arms until your legs are straight. Pull hard and follow through by bringing the handle up to your sternum. Lotta words and that’s all I’ve got for now.

• July 14, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think if I would have used a rack I could have pushed press more. At one point I added more weight, but couldn’t clean to push.

This makes sense – I goofed on the row….I pulled while my knees were still bent….lost momentum.

Thanks Whisky ~

• July 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm

DL 175# & 185#
    PP 105#
    I only got to 330 watts. I have never tried that before. How do I get to 400 – Ronin, Angie?

• July 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Four hundred something, two hundred something and eight hundred something.

Lauren – pull harder.

• July 14, 2010 at 7:32 pm

DL 275# 315# didn’t want to go. Dead legs

pP 195#

704 Watts

• July 14, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Lauren –
    Dont ask me, I got 500.

• July 14, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I dig the row for wattage – that was fun! I got 458-557-585.

Lauren-what damper did you set the rower on? I think 10 is the key. First pull gets the rower going, then pull as hard as you can next two pulls.

• July 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Lauren

I just tried it with no warm up after a nice, albeit nutrient free dinner of marinated fungus, with Andrea and Karli. Oh, half a bottle of Cab.

Set the rower to 10. 523, 535, 542 (fell off once).

Tried it at 6, watts dropped to 480 something.

Lauren, I’d not worry about pulling harder, try pulling longer.

Oh…sorry

Try wearing your pumps when you row.

Also, no reason to be fast between pulls. Should have tried regrouping each time.

• July 14, 2010 at 8:50 pm

So you fell off the rower after we left. Crossfit and leftover cabernet . . . I am so relieved Karli wasn’t there to see that. She’s quite impressionble and would have fallen apart laughing.

• July 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm

yesterday i did FGB: 389

today i did FGB: 400

i’m happy with that.

• July 15, 2010 at 6:34 am

Andrea, I have a baby

• July 15, 2010 at 7:56 am

DL 275
    PP 135
    Row 684

I just realized all the slacking I have been doing lately I have lost strength. Time to get it back.

• July 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Bo, you were never very strong…

• July 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Which is why losing any is so detrimental. Duh!

• July 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Oh, and Whiskey, its nice to get insight into you mind this week. Though it seems a shame to dedicate a whole week to it when it could probably be accomplished in a couple seconds.

• July 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Bo,

Next week you can provide all the insight into the workouts. Monday’s wod will be Angie. If you can demonstrate proper standards on pushups and squats for us that would be great!