Skill work:
Front Squat (you are not lifting heavy here, just working on skill and technique – see notes below).

Three rounds for time:
300m Row
400m Run
50ft Farmer’s Carry (1.5 pood kettlebell in each hand)
20 Inverted Ring Pulls
50 Squats

Goals: For the next couple of weeks, I will ask other CF7ers to post their approach to the WOD, how they would scale the WOD, what the time/task goals are, etc. It will allow each of you to see there are not only different approaches to each WOD, it will also help you see what to scale and when. This week, Andrew has the gig….look for his posts to lay out goals for you this week.

Technique on the Front Squat:Front squats pave the way to PRs in clean. The key to a good front squat is getting your elbows up and around the bar. As you squat down, you have to drive your elbows up (which will help you keep your weight back on your heels and keep the lumbar curve in your back). Watch this:

Think you can’t get your elbows up around the bar?? We can stretch that out (see photo below)….and if you ever doubt that getting your elbows up and around the bar isn’t that big of a deal, ask yourself if you like your wrists the way they are….dropping your elbows can cause you to shatter your wrists. So, if you like your wrists the way they are, drive your elbows UP!

Wednesday WOD, July 7, 2010

26 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, July 7, 2010

• July 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Front Squat – The idea this whole month is too get more technical with all your lifts, allowing you to be more efficient which will with correct form and practice allow you to lift more weight and PR. The most important lift for all cross-fitters is the Front Squat. We use it for thrusters, cleans, snatches, and any form of squat, etc, so a steady diet of front squat in your workouts will be the best thing you can do to improve your overall performance. Today start with the bar and make every rep look perfect. Go up slow in weight and don’t go above 80% of your 1RM. Ask your coach to watch you and tweak your technique if needed. If you don’t know what your 1RM is, then just stay with a light weight and really focus on doing every rep correctly. This may seem like a slight waste of time for a few of you but I promise there is nothing more important then getting your front squat in order and practice with light/moderate weight is the only way to achieve it.

• July 6, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Front Squat keys to success

-Bar resting on shoulders (do not hold the bar up with your arms)
    -Elbows up, chest up
    -Knees out!!! If your knees start to buckle inwards you are losing power and injury prone.
    -Weight always in your heels
    -Full range of motion maximizes your results

• July 6, 2010 at 9:36 pm

WOD – This one is obviously a marathon so pacing and scaling will need to be considered before you jump in. Never seen this before, but I am guessing low 20 min range is very fast, and most will be closer to 30 minutes. For pacing, my philosophy for long wods is to never “redline” because that will kill you, but to always be flirting with that edge. If you overheat or work too hard that means breaks and rest which is not what you want. Picking a pace that will allow you to constantly keep moving is exactly where you want to be, then when you come close to the finish line you go all out until you pass out! Hopefully not, but you get my drift. As for scaling, I will offer 2 ways to look at this, I hope Amie doesn’t mind me doing this. To scale down the volume, since its a ton of work I would lighten the famers carry, and lessen the inverted ring pulls and squats in each round. Something like 1 pood or lighter, 10 inverted ring pulls, and 20-25 squats instead of 50 each round. If I were approaching this wod I would scale a different way, which some may view as scaling up. I would be looking to up the intensity and probably cut back on the volume by subtracting the row or run. My scale would look something like adding a weighted vest, or subbing 5-10 muscle up for the inverted ring pulls. And wow sorry for the freakin essay. I love this stuff so I can get carried away. Good luck all, see you tomorrow.

• July 7, 2010 at 6:40 am

Thanks Andrew! Great to hear your perspective.

• July 7, 2010 at 7:13 am

20:00 Rx

The roosters have perfect technique, so we didn’t do skill work.

Some mistake were made on my part before the WOD. I ate atomic wings for dinner last night and before the metcon I forgot to put running shoes on. Running in oly shoes gave me some gnarly shin splints. I’ll spare y’all the details on why the atomic wings sucked. If you really want to know eat some close to a workout.

Mark, Faith, and Killer MIA. A couple of new faces today though.

• July 7, 2010 at 7:29 am

20:54 – squats got me.

• July 7, 2010 at 7:47 am

Thanks Andrew! Great posts!

There has been and will be a lot of information thrown at you all this month. Come in early to any WOD to practice, ask questions, etc. On Saturdays, after WOD, we also have Olympic Lifting Club, where we stay and lift. It’s a great time to come lift, hang out, and get some good coaching because everyone is there! COME!!!

• July 7, 2010 at 8:22 am

Went Crossfit Eugene this morning – cool box – very nice people

wod / 3 rds 250 skjips,, 1.25 pod KB swings, 12 pull ups

• July 7, 2010 at 8:29 am

19:08 Rx

Eric – I know exactly what you mean! Been there.

• July 7, 2010 at 8:49 am

18:35 Rx. inverted ring pulls are a whipping. rowing to running also painful. good rooster crew.

• July 7, 2010 at 9:17 am

Whats an inverted Ring Pull?

• July 7, 2010 at 10:37 am

3rds 500m row 12 c&j 135# 12:25

Back squat 5×3 225-275-315-335-365

playing catch up these are great wods keep them coming

• July 7, 2010 at 11:22 am

I heard Whisky was going to be there..

• July 7, 2010 at 11:55 am

19:20 Rx
    Row to run… aweful.
    But loved the WOD.

• July 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I lied. I did 5 reps of front squat at 65#.

Faith is afraid…

• July 7, 2010 at 1:13 pm

inverted ring pull….lying on your back, legs extended, heels on 24′ box, pull up using rings. they suck….

• July 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm

The ring pullups were much more difficult than I thought. I think most of us underestimated the difficulty.

• July 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm

After the first round of ring pulls I kept praying that all the rings would be occupied. Doing 20 pull ups would have been a lot easier.

• July 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Does inverted mean inverted, or horizontal – like the vid?

Very cool post Andrew. In the subject of keeping a bit in reserve, Running to the Top by Arthur Lydiard talks about that very thing. In the context of xfit, might be best for training to not always go all out into the full on lactic acid throw up phase, not that I have a problem with that – ever going all out.

From the #33 Robb Wolf pod cast:

“Question regarding – Training the CrossFit Games Athlete a “new way”

Rob- love your blog and podcast, here’s my question…
    I recently found myself reading a book by Arthur Lydiard about running and best performance. “Run to the top”
    (He’s a legendary running coach in New Zealand – coached athletes with Gold medals from
    800m through to Marathon) I think there are some really interesting parallels with what he describes in being able to reach your running best and possibly reaching your ‘CrossFit best’ performances. Specifically he describes a periodized approach to training and with regards to 800m
    running he emphasises the need to build a base of high volume work aerobic, as a means to maximise race potential and also longevity over the years. (To clarify he’s NOT talking about LSD, he states running volume at maximum aerobic capacity and not straying into the noticeably lactic efforts) He describes the negative effects of constant and Ill timed interval training, resultant high
    PH levels, a suffering CNS and reduced ability to absorb nutrients into the body as a result.
    My questions are… since most CrossFit events are of 800m and beyond time duration would it not make sense to train in an AEROBIC fashion the majority of the time once you have a suitable strength base? Lydiard adds in elements of strength work, hill training , intervals and speed work to sharpen his athletes but over a sensible time frame. He emphasis that a good AEROBIC base protects the athlete from the effects of harder running and that you should “train NOT strain”.
    Do you think this means a CrossFit Athlete should find there “Aerobic sweet spot” i.e. a level of intensity that is still predominantly aerobic and NOT bathed in lactic acid for the majority of their WOD’s?
    I know this goes against the CrossFit principle of “spank it hard every time” but surely we’re dealing with mostly known , almost knowable games events?
    Many thanks for your thoughts”

• July 7, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Amie/Mark thanks also for the article.

So what do you experts think of the suggested scaling formula of 50% 1RM for high volume?

Be interesting to see if Angie could Woman Up and try this.

• July 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

10 rounds –
    10 pullups
    10 ring dips
    10 situps
    10 squats

First metcon in a while, felt like I thought. Not good.

• July 7, 2010 at 6:09 pm

4:30 class is a beating.. I really respect you guys!

21:21 It was so hot, I felt nauseous before I even started..

Angie you are so fun to work out with!! I’d come back just for that! 😀

• July 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm