Power Clean 1-1-1-1-1
“Fran”
21-15-9
Thrusters (95 lb./65 lb.)
Pullups

Compare to April 23 (Power Clean) and March 24 (Fran). Post weight and time to comments.

There are many varieties and options when it comes to Fran. There’s “In and Out Fran”, “Fat Fran” and Fran sub-2…..before you attack this WOD, I challenge you to pick a weight that will allow you to complete Fran under four minutes. Fran is an entirely different workout completed in four minutes than if you do the prescribed weights and finish in 8 or 9 minutes.

Faith vs. The Gnats
Last week, Faith went running on the trail and posted she ran into a few gnats…..as Lori said, Faith runs so fast, the gnats lost. (Click on the picture.)

Monday WOD, August 16, 2010

33 thoughts on “Monday WOD, August 16, 2010

• August 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

AHHH, I get all nervous just thinking about doing FRAN!!!!

• August 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm

When should you scale? I can do “the bitch” rx but will take longer than 10 min?? Thoughts…..

• August 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Brent bring your A game. I’m going to kick your ass on this one! Going for sub 1 minute.

Faith doesn’t look all that happy about the win.

• August 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Wish I could…I’m on “injured reserve”. Will you post if ya’ll are running on Tuesday, I may try that. Have a good FRAN!! I’m going to dream I can do pull ups like the chick in the video?**#*!!

• August 15, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Forget first post – Are we suppose to pick a weight so will finish in under 4 min?

• August 15, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I think it is under 5 minutes Mark.

Lori is your back still hurting?

• August 15, 2010 at 9:42 pm

uh, yea ~ the knife pain part is a little better. How’s your feet?

• August 16, 2010 at 6:42 am

PC – 135, 155, 165, 175, 185F
    Fran – 5:05 Rx

I hit a wall on the last 9 especially the pull ups. Afterward I couldn’t tell if I was going to black out or throw up. Everything was a blur and my heart rate was jacked. That was definitely the hardest I’ve ever pushed myself. Next time I’ll get sub 5 and beat Brent.

Lori, my foot is doing fine. I hope you recover soon. We can’t have an Original Rooster out for too long.

• August 16, 2010 at 7:48 am

Great work by all the roosters this morning. We will meet at 5:00 am at the TCU tennis court parking lot tomorrow to run.

• August 16, 2010 at 8:35 am

got up 185#, failed at 195#

4:33 Fran with 75# and banded pullups

• August 16, 2010 at 9:46 am

Lori – my back hurts too. bad form on the DLs. Let me know if you find a cure.

195 lb – failed on 205 Max

4:59 thanks to Eric – he was lapping me – an animal! – then he hit the wall right at the end – it was actually kind of scary – I thought we might have to call 911

• August 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

The cure is don’t do deadlift.

Today – 3 position snatch & cleans. Then 3 rounds: 8 high box jumps, 100m sprint.

Also my buddy told me yesterday he is starting CF today and wants to go hardcore. I laughed when I saw his first day will be Fran. Anyone wants to see a free show at 6pm, come on.

• August 16, 2010 at 10:27 am

Eric, sounds like you couldn’t even feel your feet if they did hurt…didn’t we just talk about “head rushes”??…mine makes me laugh though, sounds like yours was more serious?*#**!! You’ve had that look before a long time ago right before you headed for the back door and missed!! – ooops Curious ~ What weight were you using on thrusters??

Newley, I did a 3 mile walk this a.m., I’ll wait to see how it feels in the a.m. If I come, I’ll wear white, so you can see me in the middle of the road to scoop me up as ya’ll head back in??*#**!! haha

Brent, you’re nice to humor me…ice, ice and more ice…glad it doesn’t sound like it’s keeping you down. I knew at the time I’d done a little something, but, actually went on with the day…bunch of yard work, etc., it’s when I stopped it cranked down….o-u-c-h

• August 16, 2010 at 10:32 am

Geesbreght, now ya tell me?**#*!! ha

• August 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm

The main attraction today was without question Eric. I was seriously worried about you dude. You were a very odd shade of grey and unresponsive. Then newly very compassionately walked up to you and asked, “what was your time?”. When you didn’t respond he asked the same question only this time he asked it twice as loud. In a year and a half of xfit I’ve never seen anyone that jacked up post workout. You’re an animal. Kudo’s to Brent as well for breaking 5 minutes. I turned in a 4:48 at 75#’s and my last 7 PU’s were halfassed I’m ashamed to say. That workout kicked my ass.

• August 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I disagree on the no deadlifts.

I had back problems from ’94 to 2008 and the only thing I changed in my life in 2008 was I started doing deadlifts. The pain went away. When I don’t do them consistently, my back problems come back. Now I’m not sure if that’s a coincidence or if they really cured me, but one thing’s for sure: they don’t hurt.

Dutch is against them but that’s only because he can’t do ’em.

• August 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Sank,
    It is true that I asked Eric what his time was. I could see that he was having trouble, but I wanted to see how bad off he was. I thought asking about his time would tell me if he was with us or not. Obviously, he wasn’t with us at that time.

• August 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Andy is the exception rather then the rule when it comes to deadlift. Ask anyone who has been doing CF for 6 months or longer if they have had an injury and the answer is 90% of the time deadlift. I am not saying never do it, just keep it at singles. High rep DL is an injury recipe, and it doesn’t help you. Also Dutch can clean 290lbs and snatch 220. If anything, he can’t run!

• August 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

O.K., now it’s interesting you say that about the singles and not reps. I think I was doing fine, but when I reached my max (which was actually a whimpy 125#, but, good for me) I did three in a row….don’t know if that’s considered “high rep”, but makes sense because you never get fully “repositioned” properly. I really always have loved DL, and stubbornly, I’ll probably end up doing them again…(way in the future).

Glad I was not there to see how bad Eric was…I probably wouldn’t have helped matters by freaking out. Newley has had to hand me bananas several times in the past to bring me out of a coma while demonstrating how monkeys peel them?*#**!!

• August 16, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I have to agree Eric looked like he was going puke – it has done it before so I wants to keep my distance

Lori – if you remember I hurt my back doing DL before C7 – how bad is it your back?

I will be the for the C7 Rooster Run

Did WOD today with goal of sub 4 – so I did just the bar and it still took me 5 min – I am not sure I could do a 4 min Fran even with no bar and big ass ruber band

• August 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Paukune, didn’t you read my blog a couple of days ago???….I said I could hear your voice in my ear…”All I know is I hit the ground and the next thing I knew I was on morphine”?*#**!!! Oh yeah, I could see that wild eyed look too you get when you tell about it!!! haha Do you do DL any more at all??

Actually, it’s much better today. I almost don’t have to hold on the wall when I put my shorts on…still having a little issue putting on socks. I think it must have been on its way and it’s just the DL that finally kinked it. So maybe it would have happened no matter what I did – whether at CF or day-to-day stuff. ~ whatever

• August 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm

newley, just screwin’ with you. but it was a classic moment …..

• August 16, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Glad your doing ok Eric… thought for a moment we were going to loose you. You were white as a sheet!!! geez..

3:42 for Fran… and yes I only did the bar, and yes I used a band… blah blah blah.

maybe I’ll see you all at TCU… may have something else in mind,

• August 16, 2010 at 5:37 pm

PC 125

“Fran” – 5:18 55 # and a red band

Thanks for the great help and coaching Amie!

Dang, Eric, even hitting a wall you were much faster than me, nice work. Scott, that was a funny story. 🙂

Rooster run in the morning.. how far are you planning on going Newley?

• August 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

heavy deadlifts for reps cure everything. hiccups, flu, cancer and the gay. (no cure for brown)…

deadlift is dangerous, regardless of weight. but like any crossfit functional movement, you get better at it by pushing your threshold of intensity and form by doing the movement, going heavy, getting stronger and looking cooler.
    as you get better, stronger, cooler, your ability to go heavy improves.
    just like ANY movement, pushups, pullups, squats.

like Maximum Effort, i started doing deadlifts and my prior back pain has gone away, never to return. i got better at it, i can go heavier, longer, faster blah blah.
    what does HQ say? move more weight further over a short amount of time? something stupid like that.

• August 16, 2010 at 6:15 pm

ha.. that’s not as funny as i thought after a few bears.. i meant beers. i saw a bear yesterday.

• August 16, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Well I’m finally awake and other than extremely sore forearms I’m feeling good. I would like to apologize for not saying thanks to everyone who helped me out.

Amy, next time take a picture! You’ll also have to explain why laying down is bad after a WOD. There was nothing I wanted to do more.

Faith, Newly said 5 miles. No pace was specified.

AFTERNOON CLASS post your times. Y’all have been slacking lately.

• August 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I had the rare privilege of coaching both the 4:30 and the 6 pm classes today – thanks everyone! The heat adds a whole different element to Fran! Good times by all, and I’m really impressed with the work this afternoon! I LOOOOOVE heavy lifting days, and the power cleans looked really good this afternoon! It’s really fun to watch the progressions being made and PRs today!. Lots of new faces too!!!

Scott L. needs to post his after Fran comments because it was one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a long time.

I also have to say I agree with Mackey….he probably did have too many beers 🙂 (I kid). Mackey is right about lifting heavy….The only way to get better at lifting heavy is to lift heavy. Be cautious on EVERY rep, whether it is in the middle of a WOD like Fran or if it’s 1 rep max. Your concentration should not break on form in any lifting work you do. Make form a priority and only lift a weight that will support your technique; it’s hard to not let ego get in the way, I know, but never, ever let “RX”, a fast time or a heavy weight compromise your technique.

• August 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm

OMG Faith….Fran in 5:18 w/55#??? awesome!! Take that gnats!! And that was after 125# PC?? 125# DL put me on ice. You’re my hero ~

• August 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Andy, I have the same experience – my back feels better when I’m doing deadlifts. Like Andrew mentioned, I tend to do very low reps – triples at most. I won’t rep out anymore unless the weight is 50% of max. The time I injured my back the worst was doing multiple heavy sets of 10, years ago before I learned the hard way not to do that.

Amie, I can’t post the comment, because children might read this. That fran chick makes me unhappy.

Lucas, the book I mentioned is called Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky and Kraemer. I think you’ll like it. My email is langlinais@xemaps.com if you have any questions – feel free to shoot me a note.

• August 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm

PC, just went to 165 and worked on form.

Fran
    5:39 with 75#

• August 17, 2010 at 6:43 am

Great to be back. Great to wake up sore in the morning. Scott, if you are worried about Karli reading your posts, don’t. She’s around Ronin quite a bit and probably has a greater vocabulary in that respect than most people out there.

• August 17, 2010 at 6:44 am

Well, being a newbie I finished in 6 flat BUT that was with no weight on the bar AND my 15 PUs dropped down to 5 instead.

Ryan, fyi my arms are MILDLY sore today. . . definitely could have pushed harder. Temporary muscle failure will NOT stop me from completing full reps in the future!!! 🙂