Reminder – no 9 am class today or Thursday!

Tabata pushups followed by
Deadlift 1-10-1-20-1-30

Post tabata score and deadlift weight to comments.

I have a had a few really good conversations post-WOD recently about rest and nutrition….rest, we will discuss tomorrow. Today, let’s talk food.

I like to cook, and I really like to eat. When I first started CrossFit and heard about Zone, I quickly ruled it out because of the laundry list of things you could and couldn’t eat. Then I watched this video with Nicole, and started Zone almost immediately. At the time, I had been doing CrossFit for about a year and had hit a plateau. I saw that if I cleaned up my diet, I would improve. However, it wasn’t easy, and it took time to learn all of the weighing and measuring, what I could eat and what I couldn’t. I ended up downloading this cheat sheet and taping it the refrigerator as a guide. I will admit nothing I made in the beginning was really great – most everything was merely a tool to help me figure out what worked best for me.

I did a really strict zone diet for about a year. And when I say strict, I mean strict. I did not eat anything I didn’t weigh and measure, and I was obsessed about my diet and tweaking it to gain optimal performance. I did not eat out, and what’s worse, I no loner enjoyed meals. Meals became so scientific, that it just wasn’t fun.

There is an abundance of information online regarding zone and paleo meal plans, and when people ask me what is best, I tell them you have find what works best for YOU. After becoming crazy obsessed with zone, I have since found a really good balance for me. My diet now is mostly paleo plus milk, with a side of ice cream now and then. A typical day for me looks like this:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 slices of bacon (or a handful of almonds), and an apple
AM snack: a handful of nuts and some fruit
Lunch: 4 oz. of chicken breast or steak, a small salad and some fruit (the fat will be in the salad dressing or nuts)
Dinner: Some type of meat (chicken, fish or steak), vegetables, avocado/nuts
PM snack (only if I am hungry): usually fruit or a glass of milk

I tend to eat way more fruit than vegetables, but am working on correcting that. I also eat peanut butter most every day because I love it. Some people may frown on that, but I don’t really care. It works for me, and I love it. If I can add bacon or peanut butter to any food, it makes it better 🙂 I also save lots of time by making things in advance. When I cook dinner, I tend to make several servings and eat the leftovers the next day (or freeze them if there are ALOT of leftovers).

Eating a clean diet is not easy at first, and it takes time to tweak it and figure out what works best for you. I would like to hear from some of you what you eat typically in one day! Please post to comments what you eat, how often you eat, and what you love to eat the most!

Tuesday WOD, August 3, 2010

9 thoughts on “Tuesday WOD, August 3, 2010

• August 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Deadlift 1-10-1-20-1-30….this is a fun WOD. It’s lifting for weight, not for time. The single reps are really heavy and the 10-20-30 reps are lighter (of those, the 10 reps should be the heaviest of the three). It will take you some time to lift through all of these. Pick weights that will challenge you, and spend lots of time warming up your core and back. Take your time and rest as needed between sets.

I’ve done this particular WOD once before, and it can wear you out. My DL 1RM is 275 (I think – it’s been a while). If I were to approach this WOD, I would do weights of: 225 for 1 rep-185 for 10 reps-250 for one rep-165 for 20 reps-275 for one rep- 145 (maybe even 135) for 30 reps. (Of course, that’s on paper, and it may change slightly once I got into it). I would make sure the 1 reps would be heavy and near my max, and the 10-20-30 would be a working set that I could manage a challenging weight at and not lose form for reps (I personally do not like to lift high-rep-heavy DLs).

• August 3, 2010 at 9:14 am

77 Tabata pushups

I do not lift much when it come to DL’s (three days in Harris)
    so I did what Amie wrotte
    225 -185
    250 – 165
    275 – 145

C7 Running Club – founded by Faith got started to today w a 4 mile +/- run – Walters where were you??

Newly & Faith – I enjoyed the run

• August 3, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Sorry Runners, i had a bit of insomnia and bagged it.

Amie – how is tabata scored? total or lowest reps in a round? What should we be working towards? thanks.

• August 3, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Mark-How did those weights work out for you?

David-Tabata depends. Officially, CrossFit defines tabata scores as lowest score of the eight rounds (so you keep individual scores for each round, and your score is whatever the lowest total is). Ryan likes to do total reps. Both are fine. I think it is more important to score the same method each time, so that the scores you compare from tabata to tabata are the same. Personally, I like to score lowest round because it gives me a more accurate picture in my mind of what I am weak at. I know if I do tabata squats, I can get 20 as a score (lowest score will be 20 over 8 rounds), but if I do pushups or pullups, it will be under 12.

• August 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm

BTW, David brings up a good point – it’s a good idea to log your WODs to create reference points on your progress. As a trainer, I can keep a mental note of kindof where each of you are at, but your detailed notes will be much more accurate. If you do a WOD today, then we do the same WOD three months from now, the only way you will know if you did better or worse is by your times previously. It really is a great resource to have! (I keep track of mine on an excel spreadsheet now – if you would like a copy of it, shoot me an email and I will send it to you!)

• August 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Amie – you don’t go has hard when your alone

Walters – newlywed

• August 3, 2010 at 5:17 pm

CF7 Run Club was fun! Thanks for the run Mark and Newly!!

Thursday run club will be a 5 mile tempo run!

• August 4, 2010 at 9:22 am

Amie, I REALLY enjoyed reading what you wrote about food, and I wish more people would have commented on their diet! Yours was helpful! I’m always looking for new ideas.. I know Amy K has a pretty strict regimen and she looks great!

Since I’m marathon training, I feel hungry ALL the time!

Breakfast: Lately I’ve been making a one or two egg omelet. I put a little olive oil in a pan, big handful of fresh spinach, pour the eggs over and then I put a little fete or parm cheese in it. Fruit, usually berries. Sometimes I have a cup of coffee with skim milk.

Snack: Nuts, berries, veggie chips (I know, I know..) baby carrots/hummus

Lunch: Usually a salad with shredded carrots, nuts, cheese olive oil and balsamic.

Dinner: If I go out I like to order fish.. Or I’ll make steamed veggies, cereal or whole wheat pasta. 🙂

I hope more people write!!

• August 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Breakfast: 5 eggs w/ sausage or bacon and 2 apples.

Lunch: fish(usually salmon) or chicken w/ steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and whatever fruit I feel like eating.

Snack: almond butter, bananas, and honey mixed in a bowl. I also do 2 protein shakes. 1 when I wake up and another around 7am.

Dinner: turkey, ham, chicken(if I had fish during lunch), or hamburgers and hot dogs if I want a change of pace w/ leftover veggies from lunch.

After each meal/snack I drink whole milk.