Five rounds for time of:
100m Row
10 Front Squats (135 lb./95 lb.)
30 Double Unders (sub 15 Box Jumps if you cannot do DUs)

Each round will be timed individually. Front squats will be from the rack. You can rest as needed in between rounds. Total time for WOD is all times for each round combined. Post total time and/or splits to comments.

Scott got his first muscle up this week – congratulations! Whiskey, thank you for the picture!

Yesterday, we talked about food….today, let’s talk about rest and recovery. I have heard many of you wonder lately why you are tired or why a certain WOD was tougher than normal….the first thing I ask is, “When was your last rest day? Are you sleeping well at night?” Rest days and a good night’s sleep are essential to a good WOD.

In a typical month of CrossFit, we move 25-30 TONS of weight. Yes, I said TONS. That does not include body weight movements (pullups); it is strictly a measure of the weight on barbells we move around on average in one month. 25 tons is equivalent to three elephants, an empty train car, or 30 cattle. If you ventured out to the Fort Worth Zoo, there is no way you’d try to pick up an elephant and move it, let alone three…and, in CrossFit, often times, we don’t question the weight – we just move it as quickly as possible and with good form 🙂 There isn’t anything wrong with that, you just have to understand our bodies need recovery because we were not made to carry that heavy of a load consistently over time.

So, as an athlete, what does this mean for you? It means take your rest days seriously. You make great gains in rest, and when you come back refreshed, often you have the best WOD times. Take a week off every six to eight weeks; I promise your body will thank you in the long run. Most of all, listen to your body. If you are tired, sluggish, or low energy, take a day off, no matter how fun the WOD looks to be, because you have to remember that there will be another fun WOD coming up the next day.

Also keep in mind that the heat will fatigue you faster than you could ever imagine. What seemed easy two weeks ago is all of a sudden going to be ten times harder because of the heat. Be sure to cut yourself some slack and know that at the end of a WOD, if you gave 100% effort, it doesn’t matter how long it took you to complete the task at hand. Take care of your body – you only get one!

Wednesday WOD, August 4, 2010

8 thoughts on “Wednesday WOD, August 4, 2010

• August 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Five rounds for time of:
    100m Row
    10 Front Squats 135 #
    30 Double Unders
    total: 5:47

rest 5 minutes

“lizzie” CFFB
    12-9-6-3
    185# power clean
    ring dips

• August 4, 2010 at 6:27 am

7:41 Box jumps were brutal after squats.
    Much harder than it looks.

Where has Lori been??

• August 4, 2010 at 7:24 am

SO SLOW – 14:32 (135 lbs / box jumps)

I had to bail out in the 4th round – got to low and fell backwards – still competed the round

This was a hard WOD

Killer glad your back

• August 4, 2010 at 9:30 am

7:something, we only did 75 # and box jumps 😛

I corrected my stance the third round and the weight felt lighter. I tend to stand with my feet too close together I think.

Good word on rest Amie! Sleep is huge for me.. I feel SO much better when I’ve slept at least seven hours.

Eric! Are you ok??? And Lori.. and David.. and Brent..

I need to run a five mile tempo run tomorrow morning if anyone wants to join me.. one mile warm up, three miles at a 7:30/45 pace, one mile cool down. I’ll probably go around 5:30 again. Text me if you wanna come! 8176922418

• August 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

Yes, I’m fine I think. Just trying to keep off my feet until I see a podiatrist. Luckily I got an appointment later on today, so I wont miss too many more classes. It was painful enough just to miss 1.

Amie, would you suggest a week off every 6-8 weeks if someone only went 3 times a week?

• August 4, 2010 at 11:34 am

Eric- you might can push it to 10 weeks, but yes, you need rest periods to allow your body to recover. Tune in tomorrow, and I’ll tell you why! 🙂

I would also recommend to try not to look at the number of WODs, but what you did in the WOD, the weights you moved, etc. Your body needs time to rest and recover. You may be able to do an “active recovery week”, where you still workout, but you only do 50% of the weight and reps. That way, you still get your fix, but it also allows your body some recovery time as well. However, definitely every 12 weeks, take some time off (and that time may be three days, it may be a week). Tune in tomorrow 🙂

• August 5, 2010 at 7:39 am