Mobility WOD

Max Overhead Squat

followed by a buddy carry, farmer’s carry and pinch carry. Details will be explained at class.

Post OHS load and carry totals to comments.

Sank took a field trip to Houston to do a few box jumps…..

********************************************************************************************************************
Thank you to Andrew for sending me this link!!! Great slow-mo of a 69kg lifter in training…Liao Hui is an Olympic champion and snatched 163kg (360 lb.) and clean and jerked 195kg (430 lb.) to win.

Friday WOD, February 25, 2011

18 thoughts on “Friday WOD, February 25, 2011

• February 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I wish the video were slower…

• February 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm

HAHAHA Whiskey!

I do love this video though because it’s easy to clearly see him hit all of his positions. If you guys watch the video, notice the position of his shoulders are over the bar and his feet are flat on the floor for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE —if you pause the video at 51-52 seconds, that’s his FINISH. He’s gotten as vertical as he can, and at that point, he starts to pull his body down and around the bar — he does not bend his arms and pull the bar up over his head –instead, he goes down and around the bar. Great lift. Thank you Andrew for sending it to me!!

• February 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

Max Effort – in response to yesterday’s post, JV is Big John. If that doesn’t help you, he’s the big buzzed cut blonde haired kid whos sister sometime shows up. If that doesn’t help you, I can’t think of anything else to describe him.

I enjoy the olympic lifting videos, but it’d be money to see videos relating to each days WOD. I imagine there are so many videos out there now, one could be found relating to at least one of the movements for the day. For example, maybe a video showing a “buddy carry” or proper overhead squat technique for today.

• February 25, 2011 at 10:00 am

Lucas – you missed the obvious point of John probably wondering who the hell is max effort. After all, John’s there about every day, kind of like max used to be before he decided to turn 80.

Outstanding call on the wod-relevant videos – I’ll second that. Amie you no doubt know where they all are – that video you emailed me of snatch balance the other day was excellent.

• February 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

JV is the guy that looks like a Third Riech wet dream. Usually lifting 20- 30 lbs more than me.

• February 25, 2011 at 11:03 am

The thing I got out of the clip was using the blue chairs as a reference you can see the distance between the plates and the chairs varies very little once he reaches max vertical and then throws himself under the load.
    At least for me its a great example of what Ryan says about not throwing the weight up but, getting under the weight.
    Great clip – Thanks

• February 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Lucas and Steve-
    Thanks for the feedback on the videos! I agree with you, though I find my biggest challenge in matching up videos and WOD is time, based on when I know what the WOD is and finding a video that I think is good enough to post. That all takes FOREVER! I refuse to post videos that I think have sucky form, and for every video you see, I’ve watched 15 or more to search through the ones that suck.

I cannot promise a video every day, but if I get the WOD early, I will try my best to post something. I will talk to Ryan and see what we can do.

If anyone sees a video to post daily of a particular WOD/lift, please feel free to post it in comments.

• February 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Oh yeah! I know that guy but just thought he was “John.” I’ll try to remember to call him “big” too.

And I didn’t turn 80. mu shoulder did. I think it’s a transplant from a very old woman.

• February 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Steve? Ok thanks for the reply, Anna.

• February 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Duly noted, Amie. Thanks for all that you do with the site.

• February 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Is anyone going to post their Max OHS?!?!?! Geesh….

• February 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Third Reich’s wet dream, that’s special! Yes Andy, its John, always been called JV cuz there are alot of John’s out there.

155 OHS, need to work on flexibility overhead to increase the weight

• February 25, 2011 at 6:36 pm

155 OHS

400m farmer’s carry with 53# kb’s no drops (good tip from Daniel – DO NOT DROP THEM – it’s mental)

buddy carry 200m with whatever Kyle weighs (I made a point not to drop him either).

Great workout Ryan – talk about functional strength, this was great stuff. No one’s going to care what you can lift if you can’t carry someone out of a fire.

• February 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Scott, aka Steve-
    I told you, I think you should change your name to Steve a)because you look like my friend Steve, and b)all of the cool kids go by a different name. So, today is day 1 of my campaign to get you to change your name to Steve, or at least, get everyone else to call you Steve too, then I don’t look like a dumb ass.

I’m only kidding of course. I am REALLY sorry (again)!!!!

Your friend,
    Anna

• February 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Did anyone else see JV firing that M240B one handed while doing burpee pull ups off the skids of a Blackhawk!?! He truly is the offspring of Arnold. GETTOTHACHOPPA!!!!!

• February 26, 2011 at 11:18 am

Marathoners,

We are meeting at CF7 at 0615 tomorrow to carpool to the race. Please text me at 817-797-0649 to let me know you’re coming. Thanks.

Nick

• February 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Cody, You almost caused Miller Lite to shoot out my nose with you’re Third Reich comment. Because it’s true. Yet you ease the pain of Rivera losing to some British dude in the UFC.

i OHS a small piece of side walk chalk. Here’s to me!