(Schedule for Memorial Day: 9 am class only, followed by open gym.)

“MURPH”
(First posted on 18 AUG 2005.)

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it “Body Armor”. From here on it will be referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

***************

The Man Behind Murph, by Brett Vernon

Anyone who has been CrossFitting for a few months fears, hates or hides from Murph. That is because Murph as a WOD is a long, arduous, painful, grind that exhausts just about every muscle in your body. Just when you think you’re finished you have to run that one last mile. It’s actually that second mile that makes me think a lot about Murph’s last stand. You see, Murph to me is more then just a hard WOD, he was a good friend. I was in BUD/s with Murphy until a leg injury rolled him out of our class. I would still see him around the training compound but didn’t spend much time with him until we both found ourselves in Djibouti, Africa in the late summer of 2003.

We were both in Africa in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and had our daily duties so we didn’t see each other very much during the day. At night we generally had a fair amount of down time and since we both liked to stay up late, we found ourselves in the Tactical Operations Center (TOC) telling war stories, writing emails and calling home. It was at this time that I really got to know Murphy. We spent hours talking about our lives back home and the different training we had gone through. We compared operations of SEAL Team Five and SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 1. I learned a lot about SEAL Delivery Vehicles (SDVs); life in Hawaii, island fever, his girl Heather and Murphy himself.

Meanwhile, I had a family member back home that was sick and not getting better. It weighed heavily on my mind and when it was too overwhelming Murphy was there for me to calm me down. He would tell me everything is going to be OK, and work to cheer me up. Never once did I feel a strain in our friendship because he was an officer and I was enlisted. That was the thing about him; he was just one of the boys. I felt as if he would happily do anything for me if I ever asked and at the end of my deployment he invited me to come to Hawaii when we both got home and had some time off. A trip I regret I never took.

Two years later on June 28th, 2005 Murphy led a four-man reconnaissance team in Afghanistan that was compromised and overrun by hundreds of Taliban fighters. In an effort to save his boys Murphy took his mobile phone…

“…walked to open ground. He walked until he was more or less in the center, gunfire all around him, and he sat on a small rock and began punching in the numbers to HQ….I could hear him talking, ‘My men are taking heavy fire … we’re getting picked apart. My guys are dying out here … we need help.’ And right then Mikey took a bullet straight in the back. I saw the blood spurt from his chest. He slumped forward, dropping his phone and his rifle. But then he braced himself, grabbed them both, sat upright again, and once more put the phone to his ear. ‘Roger that, sir. Thank you,’ then Mikey continued to train fire on the enemy fighters.”
–Marcus Luttrell, The Lone Survivor.

On October of 2007 Michael Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. The Medal of Honor is the highest award any service member can receive – President Bush awarded it to Murphy’s family.
It is during that last mile of Muph that I think about fighting through the pain, I think about my friend Michael Murphy and the 10 other SEALs that lost their lives that day.

Friends, Brothers, I will never forget.

– Brett Vernon, CrossFit Pacific Coast

MEMORIAL DAY WOD, MURPH

16 thoughts on “MEMORIAL DAY WOD, MURPH

• May 29, 2011 at 11:20 am

The scaled version is going to be 1/2 MURPH. If you’ve never done 100 pull-ups in a WOD or are new to CrossFit (less than 3 months or so), you will want to scale the WOD! 100 pull-ups in a WOD is no joke.

• May 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Man, I love this wod…wish I could be there for it…

• May 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m going to try to make it. I’ll be wearing my vest.

• May 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm

All I can say is …. Oh My

• May 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I am going to try it with a 20# vest – great call on the wod!!!! Murph was a true American Bad Ass!!!!!!

• May 30, 2011 at 10:24 am

55:59 rx, had to walk some of the last mile
    First Murph – glad I did it!

• May 30, 2011 at 10:27 am

I did a whole Murph!

• May 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

First full Murph. What an honor.
    43:04 Rx

• May 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

38:17 RX. Good day and great workout!!

• May 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

56:15 – I hate to say rx when there were a few studs wearing a vest.

Great vibe in the box this morning.

• May 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I don’t know what my time was – it was next to last 🙂

I wanted say THANK YOU to everyone who came out to do MURPH today – this WOD has a special place in my heart, and it took on a whole new meaning today to work through it with you all. I wanted to quit more than once…I did 1/2 MURPH last week and when I got half way through today, I almost quit. Fortunately for me, Ross was beside me, chugging away with his big vest on. Ross, THANK YOU because you really pushed me to keep going.

Karli and Lynn walked/ran the last mile with me and fortunately, I was drenched in sweat, so they didn’t notice I had turned into a big cry baby. I started the last run with Whitney Houston singing “The Star Spangled Banner”, on Memorial Day, doing MURPH, honoring our veterans and Heroes… I was really overcome at that moment and cried most of the last mile 🙂

THANK YOU to all of you who have served in our military, fire department and police department!!! HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

• May 30, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Agree – GREAT VIBE today – Cutis thanks for the support at the end – Ronin I really appreciate you running with me at the end – Thank you!!!

69:47 w 20# vest** ( I did use a board to stand on when doing squats )

Lori please no more dancing in Murph!!!!

Thanks for who have served and those that serve and most of all those who gave their life for us….

• May 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

47:57 Rx no vest. First time to tackle this one. You guys with the vests are awesome! Good job.

I think that has been my favorite workout so far. The friends and intensity of everyone was great. Thanks

• May 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Almost an Hour – 56:53 with a 20 lb vest!

This should be a new Memorial Day tradition.

I did not know Murph’s story when I first did this workout 3 years ago (minus the 20 lb vest). It has a whole new meaning now.

I plan on reading “The Lone Survivor .”

• May 30, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Fantastic day! so proud of every one that came out and put 100% into this workout. It was truly an inspiring sight.

GREAT JOB GUY’S!

• May 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm

A great honor today. So glad I did all of Murph!!
    52:12 RX
    Everyone did great and all gave 100%.