Topic of Discussion: Motivation

Skill:
The snatch turn over

Strength:
Power Snatch, work to a heavy single

“Jackie”

For time:
1000m Row
50 Thrusters (bar)
30 Pull-ups

Compare to July 20, 2010.

MWOD:
Shoulder mobility

Post snatch weight and Jackie time to comments.

************************************************
A lot of lifting happening at CF7!! Videos from last week….

Tony ditching a back squat.

Note, it’s human nature to throw the weight forward when you realize you won’t make the lift. However, from a coach’s point of view, it’s so scary to watch someone do this, and it is also very dangerous. I’m a fan of dropping the weight and moving out of the way; others prefer a spotter. Whichever you prefer, make sure you have a clear plan of how you want to ditch weight when you can’t make a lift.

John, working on jerk footwork:

Leah, learning the jerk:

Kristin working technique:

Tim, solid jerk technique!

Monday WOD, July 18, 2011

16 thoughts on “Monday WOD, July 18, 2011

• July 17, 2011 at 7:47 pm

For those more advanced that need a real challenge, check out:

I think CF7 should sponsor some of us under ‘client development’ as it is a bit pricey but you get to learn and test yourself with the best. I watched several (all) of the videos this weekend. Pretty hard core. Episode 4 I think shows them doing Murph with a 40 lb rucksack on.

• July 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Ryan-
    Sorry!! I didn’t post a link for the power snatch- here you go:

The positions of a snatch and a power snatch are exactly the same; the difference between the two is the depth of the squat you land in. If a lift says “POWER”, as in power snatch (or power clean), it means you will land in a partial squat (like 1/4″ squat). If a lift just says “snatch” (or “clean”), it implies you will land in a full squat.

If you are new to snatches, you’ll want to do a “hang power snatch” – same movement, but instead of going from the floor, you will want to go from your pockets-mid thigh region, working on learning to turnover the bar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43qi9DlGUxU&feature=related

Andrew, this one is for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyfFfp_K0VM&feature=related 🙂

I will work on a terminology post for everyone – it’s pretty overwhelming to learn it all 🙂

• July 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Advice on the pullups: bring a towel to keep your hands dry. With the heat, sweat, and friction with the bar, your hands may have a tendency to rip more in the coming weeks. Tape them as needed, but mostly, keep them dry. Read more about hand care here!

Remember to take care of yourself this week in the heat and BE CAREFUL! If you stop sweating during WOD, get dizzy or nauseous, you need to stop the WOD. Drink lots of water throughout the day and scale the WODs as needed. Be safe!!!

• July 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

After looking at Tony bailout – I think he is just week and should have competed the lift

Why no spotters? Seems that would have helped

• July 18, 2011 at 6:55 am

Ball buster today. 145#; 7:52 (I wrote 7:42 on the board but was delirious after the workout). As Ryan said today, when there is a workout with no weights on the bar… that usually spells trouble.

• July 18, 2011 at 8:14 am

Jackie tricks you into thinking she is not going to hurt you too bad. She is just like my middle school girlfriend.

Go power snatch!

• July 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

115# on the snatch. 10:32 on Jackie; transitions suck between exercises

Pau-kune – learn to spell: it’s weak not week

• July 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

SC: 105# snatch

WC: 15:58

Thanks to Daniel for help today on the pull-ups.

• July 18, 2011 at 9:47 am

here’s how not to bail from a back squat. low bar is tougher to get out of. spotters would have been nice.

• July 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

133#; 7:35 Jackie

Just wanted to share how I broke down today’s WOD.

I had never done Jackie before so prior to the WOD I really had to think about how I was going to complete it.
    I eventually decided to row 30 seconds/500 slower than my fastest 500 time. I hoped going slower on the row would save my legs for the thrusters. I guessed 4 minutes for the row.
    I enjoy thrusters as much as I do burpees so I decided to go through the thrusters without setting the bar down in order to not waste time/energy picking up the bar again.
    I guessed 2 minutes for thrusters.
    Breaking up the pullups into a sets of 10, 10, 5, 5 is how I wanted to finish Jackie. I guessed 1 minute for pullups.

The plan worked well for me until the pullups. I think I ended up doing multiple sets of 2 or 3 for the last 10. It took me a minute and 30 seconds to complete the pullups.

• July 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

125# on the snatch.

11:43 on the WC. Jackie sucks.

• July 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm

85# power snatch (worked technique)….12:42 on Jackie. I broke up the thrusters 15-10-10-15 and that helped a lot. I couldn’t keep my hands dry enough to stay on the pull-up bar, but luckily, they didn’t rip! 🙂

Ryan4-

Thank you so much for the feedback on the blog!

I’m working on a terminology cheat sheet for later in the week and have added more links for the upcoming days on movements…..HQ has a big FAQ too, if that helps anyone in the mean time! I’ve also asked a few veteran CrossFitters to post each week and break down the WODs, how they would strategize them, movement standards, etc. Curtis volunteered to do this week! Each day, look for his posts on strategy and explanation of the WODs!

• July 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Good class Ryan.

Hey Coach Ken, I have that same weight belt you are using in the vid link. Now that I know that I think I’ll go really heavy.

So on the low back squat thing and spotting, I am totally with Ken and Paukune on this. I hear all thes great talk abut bailing on the dead bottom of a back squat, but NOBODY (and Angie would type) is willing to demo. I think that wen going for PR, ya need a spotter on each side.

• July 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

7:47 Rx

3:50 row
    20-15-15 thrusters. Didn’t set it down but rested on last 15 at 5 and 10.
    12-3-5-4-6 pull ups