Skill:
Hand stand hand placement

Strength:
Max reps of Hand stand push ups in 5 minutes

Reps 9-7-5 of:

Deadlift (255 lb./190 lb.)
Rope climb

Post HSPU reps and WOD time to comments.

*************

When you find you don’t have a lot of motivation to finish a WOD or lift a heavy weight or eat the right foods, what do you find lifts your spirits and puts back on the right path? Post thoughts to comments….

*************

*************

Reckless…the mare.

This horse was a pack horse during the Korean war, and she carried recoilless rifles, ammunition & supplies to Marines. Nothing too unusual about that, lots of animals got pressed into doing pack chores in many wars.
But this horse did something more….during the battle for a location called Outpost Vegas. This mare made 50 trips up and down the hill, on the way up she carried ammunition, & on the way down she carried wounded soldiers.

What was so amazing? Well she made every one of those trips without anyone leading her.
I can imagine a horse carrying a wounded soldier, being smacked on the rump at the top of the hill, and heading back to the “safety” of the rear. But to imagine the same horse, loaded with ammunition, and trudging back to the battle where artillery is going off, without anyone leading her is unbelievable. To know that she would make 50 of those trips is unheard of. How many horses would even make it back to the barn once, let alone return to you in the field one single time.

She was retired at the Marine Corps Base in Camp Pendleton where a General issued the following order. She was never to carry any more weight on her back except her own blankets. She died in 1968 at the age of 20.

P.S. How bad was the battle for Outpost Vegas? Artillery rounds fell at the rate of 500 per hour, and only 2 men made it out alive without wounds. Just 2! And a horse, and she was wounded twice.

Thursday WOD, September 29, 2011

16 thoughts on “Thursday WOD, September 29, 2011

• September 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I think about SGT Daniel Torres. He got tagged being a cockstud. He was better than me at everything. Now that he is gone and I am still here, what kind of s***bag would I be if I half ass’ed my goals.

• September 29, 2011 at 9:12 am

35 hspu- 6:55 not rx, rope climb ate my shoes up.

• September 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

16 HSPU
    I subbed pull-ups for the wod. Still using the blue band.
    At least the weight was RX, ie 190#.

• September 29, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Also, all you seasoned lifters out there I have a question!!

When I dead lift I am wrapping my fingers around my thumb (whatever grip that’s called) which I’ve found helps me to lift more, reduces my bar drops, and I can go faster!

The down side is that it is a killer on my thumbs. Does that mean I am doing something wrong?? Or it that just the consequence of lifting this way? Should I work on lifting another way?

My PR awhile back was 205. When I switched up my grips I shot to 245 so, I think it works for me?

Anyways, thoughts, comments and critiques please! Thanks peeps!!!

• September 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I wouldn’t call myself a seasoned lifter, but I believe you are describing the hook grip. I was taught that this is the grip most competitive Olympic litters use. And yes I hurt my thumbs the first few times so I think it takes some getting used to.

As I understand it, the benefit is that it allows you to increase your gripping strength on the bar and helps to eliminate any slipping that may occur with heavier loads. Anyone with more lifting experience can correct me if needed.

• September 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm

17 hspu rx,
    190 dl whooped me a bit, had to drop for last 3, rope climbs were hard &if u don’t wrap, you’re gonna get burned!

• September 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Robert Ross checking in.

23:50 Rx.

1st round 5:00
    2nd round 12:50
    And then I got really tired

• September 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oh and I did 16 hspu

• September 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm

2Pood – you are correct, it is the hook grip! My favorite grip!

Leah – it does take some getting used to. It’s not a death grip on the bar, and your thumbs will get used to it, but they may wear a little a first. Put a little bit of tape around your thumbs, and it will help.

As fas hook grip and deadlifts…the hook grip is really intended for Oly lifting – it’s the safest grip when you are moving heavy weight in an explosive weight. You really only have to/need to use it when you are moving the weight from the ground to your shoulders (in the clean) or overhead (in the snatch), and once you transition to overhead, you can actually flip out your thumbs if you want.

For DL purposes, it doesn’t hurt anything, so if you like it, go for it! Josh Everett uses hook grip on his DLs and he can DL 500+ lbs….I LOVE the hook grip and use it on every lift, even stuff overhead (which you really don’t need to do). It feels safe and secure to me….which I learned from Coach B it’s also a good idea to hook grip your steering wheel when you are stuck in traffic….it’s actually very calming and you feel nice and safe – try it. I promise it works 🙂

• September 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm

12:08, and 33 hspu (most were shy of the abmat and quite a few kipping).

• September 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Super sore from Fran – did 30 min. of mobility stuff today and I’m hoping my lats will be back to normal tomorrow 🙂

• September 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

35 Strict HSPU in 5 min

WOD – 9:33 upscaled to 275#

Rope climbs just plain suck!

• September 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Josh I like how you specify STRICT hspu’s!! Curtis, where are your numbers?!?!? 😀

• September 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm

8:33 @ 275#
    rope climbs burned all the hair off my legs

39 hspu