Warm up:

50 Box jumps
20 Double-unders
25 Ring dips
20 Knees to elbows
30 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood
30 Sit-ups
20 Hang squat cleans (95 lb./65 lb.)
30 Wall balls
3 Rope climb ascents

WOD Demo, July 12th, 2007 – video [wmv] [mov]

__________________

The ebbs and flows of MOTIVATION

CrossFit is like a new puppy….It’s always fun to play with, is really demanding, and just when you think you’ve figured it all out, you realize you know nothing. And there are days when your patience is tested, and all you really want to do is lay down and take a nap.

One of the hardest things in CrossFit is to find that motivation when it’s just not there. You are tired, your schedule changed, you “earned” more duty at work, you haven’t hit a PR in a while…let’s face it, there are days when life’s demands use up all of your time and energy. There are also stretches where you will go weeks, maybe even a month or two, where you don’t hit a PR, your times seem slow, and you just feel “stuck”.

Motivation is a funny thing in CrossFit. It takes a special kind of person to show up week after week and beat their body up, all because it’s fun. When you are hitting PRs, CrossFit is FUN, the sun always seems a little brighter, and you can’t help but smile because life is good. But what do you do when those PRs are few and far between, when life happens and motivation is low?

The answer is simple: You keep coming.

Motivation ebbs and flows, and if you are in that valley where you think, “I don’t feel like going to the gym”, that’s the day you need to get to the gym.

You see, you never ever know just when the tide will turn, and once it does, look out, because that’s the precise moment something great is going to happen. Forget about the clock and the whiteboard. Just show up and have some fun (check out Jackie buddy carrying Angie!).

I read a story recently about a farmer who grew discontent about his farm. He had low motivation, didn’t want to have to take care of the lake on his farm and keep it stocked and managed, not to mention the fat cows in the pasture that needed his attention, all of the fencing and the feeding – what a headache! He decided to sell his farm and called a realtor. A few days later, the realtor called, wanting to get approval for the advertisement she intended to place in the local paper. She read the ad to the farmer. It described a lovely farm in an ideal location – quiet and peaceful, contoured with rolling hills, carpeted with soft meadows, nourished by a fresh lake, and blessed with many well-bred livestock. The farmer said, “Read it to me again.” After hearing it a second time, he decided, “I’ve changed my mind. I’m not going to sell. I’ve been looking for a place like that all my life.”

CrossFit is about the journey and your perspective. If you are low on motivation, change your perspective.

Take time to reflect today on where you are going and just how far you’ve come since the first day you walked into CrossFit Seven. You remember that first day, when you were scared that everyone would know you were the “new guy”, and your only goal was leave the gym in one piece? Post to comments something you couldn’t do before you started CrossFit and something you can do now because of the work you’ve put in at CrossFit.

Monday WOD, August 27, 2012

12 thoughts on “Monday WOD, August 27, 2012

• August 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

My goal when I first stared Crossfit was to be able to a pull up – just one pull up – CHECK – Amy great blog – it is always good to be reminded of why we do what we do –

• August 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm

When I first started Crossfit my goal was to be an elite awesome athlete….clearly, I’ve succeeded! Jk

Seriously though, I didn’t have goals when I started, I just wanted to workout with equally competitive people, and be good at everything!

The first thing I really put effort into learning was double unders, it took forever!!!! Onto kipping pull-ups now…

• August 27, 2012 at 7:13 am

First WOD since July. Ouch.

• August 27, 2012 at 7:28 am

Wow, I’ve been working out way more than Bo and still got beat!

This was a classic workout though that I did a few times in my backyard several years ago when I was just starting crossfit from a pretty sedentary life style. I remember times around 45 min or not finishing.

Today however, I felt great and finished rx’ed (and added the 25 back extensions back in) in 21:20

It feels good to be back in the groove. I’ll also say I’ve enjoyed the workouts that get all the lean fitters and crossfitters doing basically the same thing. It was busy this morning. Tons of energy!

• August 27, 2012 at 7:43 am

Great morning workout.
    WOD 17:57 RX

• August 27, 2012 at 8:49 am

It’s nice to finally be able to workout again. I was off 3 weeks due to a foot injury. It’s hard to get motivated again….
    16:37RX. Fun but TOUGH

• August 27, 2012 at 8:59 am

19:44 – the rope climbs took a while. The last two Monday WODs were good!

• August 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

17:42 w back ext, not Rx.
    Great wkout, lots of people at 6am!!

NEXT SOCIAL should be at Live Oak Bar…

• August 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Great wod. Rope climbs with no grip strength is difficult.
    14:12 RX

• August 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Kercho. Don’t beat yourself up. I was born this way.

Oh wait, what I meant to say was that my time wasn’t rx. I did 1.5 pood instead of 2 and the rope climb outside got a little treacherous in the driving rain so I finished inside. Oh, and I didn’t know about the back extensions until after the wod.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm

17:46 – 45 lb kettlebells, skinny red band on ring dips, but added in the 25 back extensions.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Heck of a WOD this morning, although the rooster class is getting way too crowded. You got Paukune and some others from the 7am class who think they can just show up at our class whenever they want. Then Paukune cuts in front of me right as I was about to pass him on the rope climbs. Very rude. Ryan, I would like to suggest an RSVP for non-roosters to attend our class. Or at least if there is a rooster who is trying to complete their WOD, the non-rooster should respectfully yield the right of way.