Warm up:

200m Row
5 Burpees
5 Hang cleans (bar)
5 Front squats
5 Presses
100m Run

Strength:
7 sets 2 Thrusters from the rack, 60-90 seconds rest between rounds

“Fran”

Reps 21-15-9 of:

Thrusters (95 lb./65 lb.)
Pull-ups

____________________

Fran.

Fran has a special place in the heart of CrossFitters. In fact, I remember at one Oly cert that a girl stood up and introduced herself as “Fran”; there was a collective groan across the room, and she said, “I’m not THAT Fran.” 🙂

Before you head over to youtube and see the videos where people do Fran in less than two minutes and try to find your happy place, let me tell you my story about Fran.

When I started CrossFit six years ago, I read Fran on the mainsite, which said “three rounds for time of 21-15-9, Thrusters and pull-ups.” It took me 45 minutes, and I was smoked. For three months, I did Fran three times (it was posted each month), and each time, it took FOREVER. I called my friend Josh who introduced me to CrossFit to find out what was wrong. He asked me if I was doing it right, three rounds, 21-15-9. I said yes and was at a loss why it was taking me so long to complete, let alone how people finished in four minutes (which at that time was really fast!).

The next month when Fran came around, I happened to read through the comments on the mainsite. This guy asked if “three rounds, 21-15-9” meant round one was 21-15-9, round two was 21-15-9, round 3 was 21-15-9, or if it meant round 1 was 21, round 2 was 15, and round 3 was 9…as soon as I saw the question, I knew what I had done.

I thought round 1 was 21-15-9, round 2 was 21-15-9, and round three was 21-15-9….I wasn’t doing three rounds of Fran. I was doing Fran three times.

So if today at any time you are thinking Fran isn’t a good idea, just know, you are only going to do it one time, not three. 🙂

____________________

MWOD#9

You have a week of MWODs under your belt! How are you feeling? What results are you having? Let us know and post any requests for areas to stretch!!

Post results to comments.

Tuesday WOD, December 4, 2012

10 thoughts on “Tuesday WOD, December 4, 2012

• December 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Amie, you should also tell the story about you timing Shupe doing Fran. He loves hearing that story.

• December 4, 2012 at 4:41 am

Scott-
    Poor Ryan! That’s my other Fran story….

It was four or five years ago. I hadn’t known Ryan for long, and it was just he and I at the gym. He asked me to time him for Fran (it was back in the day before the big clock, so we used stop watches). I hadn’t ever timed anyone or coached anyone, and I learned a valuable lesson that day…..Looking back, that day Ryan was in the zone. I didn’t know it at the time, but his goal was a sub-3 Fran. He hands me the watch, I give him 3,2,1, go. I remember him moving very methodically through Fran, never really breaking until he got to the round of 9, and it was just for a second. He gets done, and I tell him 3:01!

Here is where perspective comes in! I’m all excited because he got 3:01 and that’s AWESOME! He’s response was, “WHAT??? NOOOOO!!!!” He would have gone faster had I told him his time along the way…..

That day, I learned before giving anyone the 3,2,1, go, ask what their goal is and help them get there. 🙂

BTW, Ryan kept working, and got sub 3 Fran this year. I didn’t time him. 🙂

• December 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

Come out to All Cities Open this Saturday at Rockwall
    athletic Complex & support me!
    Starts 8 am till 6:30 pm

I will be competing in women’s masters division.

• December 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

155# thruster for 7×2.
    Fran – 4:09. PR by 19 seconds.

• December 4, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Wow…sub 3 is impressive!!! I need to work on Fran…she sure worked on me this a.m.!

100# thruster
    Fran – 5:59 Rx

• December 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Up to 175 on thruster.
    Fran 4:33

• December 4, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Ryan, the sub 3 Fran….was that one of those that “you did by yourself” w/out a witness?

• December 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

120 thruster 11:00 Fran Rx

• December 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

KP did you even grace to doors of CF7 today? We might need a Fran off soon.